Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Leaving Transylvania

It seems about every minute is consumed about going to Iraq, in one way or another. It's planning, getting things together to take, financial and legal details and then the "Take care while I'm gone" stuff.

Today I went to the gun Show in Asheville(Now more commonly being callled ashevegas). It was the busiest one i've seen in a long time. Wich is good. Of course I've not been to one in over a year. There was this really attractive and sharp Gal selling Back and Foot Massage Machines. I tried it myself, but, I of course had no interest in the things. But, she had Men sitting in those chairs just a grinnning. She asked me to sit in one and not because she was so charming, but, out of politeness* I sat, felt the thing and actually thought it was pretty neat. I got up hoping she wouldn't try selling me the thing. For more than one reason, there's no sense in me wasting my money on it and it's a luxury, it will be inaccessable. I'm not complaining in any way, I'm just saying that it has been those little things that stay in the back of your mind. The last few months life has revolved around going to Iraq and even more so now. Alot of my Civillian freinds don't understand this. They have no idea.

It was crowded. I had to park all the way on the other side of Lexington Avenue. That's where all of the Freaks hang out up there. They weren't around, they mostly come out after dark. They are harmless, they are just vieing for attention and they mainly get it from each other.

I picked up decent cheap holster as a spare. I bought one from Tactical Tailor out in Taccoma Wa, it's my main one. Also a three position sling. I've also gotten some useful stuff from the Army Navy Store in Horseshoe. One was an "Elephant Rubber". It's a water proof bag about 6" in diameter and 18" long. So, you can imagine why GI's call it such a thing. I've not seen one since I left 3rd Ranger Bn back in 89. That was no attempt at vulgarness.

What's Bad?
I saw on my Stats that someone from Fayettville(way down east by Ft. Bragg) did a search for "bad things about Transylvania Co. NC". Now I get a kick out of that. Heck, I'm afraid when I come back from Iraq, I won't recognise the place. There's all kinds of stuff sprouting up and barely a place to work. Yeah, these Mountains look like heaven, but there's a touch of Hell here. Such things won't be found on the Internet. You can only find them here. And, that largley depends on ones point of veiw.

It's not like I dislike the new comers. I myself had to grow up in SC. So, it's not like I've lived here all of my life, but, it's allway's been home. Some of them are really nice folks, some...Well, they think that they are above everyone. When they find out that some of us go back five, six Generations, they're intimidated. They have already belittled everyone in their head. People ought to be judged on an individual basis. I understand Hubris.

I also understand Inferiority Complex's. Some of Appalachia has one. I know the good and the bad of the place. True, we have our share of "backwardsness", but, then there is true decentcy and clear Intellectualality.**

* It's Southern. Don't offend people, espeacially Ladies.
**My Pin Name comes from my preferance for anylizing things and putting it in a plain perspective. That's not an attempt at self blandishment.

Like Robert Morgan said in his Novel titeled the same,
"The Mountains Won't Remember Us"

Appalachian Intellectual




1 Comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It's all bittersweet. The Italics just happened. I bumped a key or something. I can't get it to go away. But, otherwise, it is not all melancholly. Maybe because I wrote it over two day's.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home