Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Finally

Spring is an odd thing. One day it's pretty and warm the next it's cold and dreary. The wind can knock a body over in these Mountains. Cherokee elders taught their kids that the north wind was bad...it spelled defeat and cold. The winds have been out of the north for the last few day's. Saturday there was a controlled burn going on in Tennesee and it blew the smoke all the way up the French Broad River Valley. All the way to the headwaters here in Transylvania. The French Broad flows north. You could smell it...That sweet smell of the woods burning. Surely the Pisgah was on fire, but, it turned out to be the Cherokee National Forest...Far down the river in Tennessee.

Things can carry a long way. Look at our present technology. World wide communication has burst out. It's amazing. Thirty years ago you could only catch broadcast news at certain hours of the day, now, it's 24 hours. News travels in no time at all. But, that doesn't mean that it's accurate. Early news is usually inaccurate news. Bill Lind wrote of the German Commander that went and cut roses when he first heard of the Allied Landings in Normandy. He knew the first reports were excited and prone to exageration.

I wonder about this. Now everyone talks of the amount of Dead in Iraq. I may stand to be corrected, but, the first year of Conventional Forces in Vietnam about 6,000 Servicemen were killed. Just a pondering...No conclusion.

Yesterday I saw a Snake, today it sleeted. Spring is an odd thing.

It's officail, my Orders have arrived. I'm going to Iraq. The last few months have been a roller coaster ride. At times I don't feel like I could fully explain it. But, they are finally here. The wait is over. The whole ordeal has been like Spring. A tug of war between warm and cold. Like my freind Traveling Ed spoke of Spring....Like a Cat getting ready to pounce.

It's a funny feeling. It's releif, anxiety, excitment...It's like Spring. It's a roller coaster ride all over again. But, it's bonified...I'm going to Iraq. That in itself is a releif. No more "we don't know for sure", "They(DOD) have asked for troops, but, won't cut Orders". It's done. I'll miss these Mountains and my freinds. I'll miss my family. I'll miss the Dog and the Cat. Heck, I could use a change of pace anyway. Bachelorhood has gotten old again, but it's convienant when going to a War Zone.

I'm a member of the 108th Division, Institutional Training(DIV IT)based in the Carolina's, Georgia, Florida and Alabama, also Missisippi and Puerto Ricco. It will be our job to continue training Iraqi Army and supporting them where ever possible. We are releiving the 80th DIV IT, based in Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia. The two Division's compete for Missions, but, they will be glad to see us this time.

Here are some News Atricles about their Mission and soon to be ours. One of them has an AOL Journal.

My day is the 17th of April. It will be here before I know it. I have things ready, yet, I have so much to do. My Brother was here this weekend. He's down near Birmingham Alabama. He has selflessly taken on the job of looking over my affairs while I'm gone...all the way from Alabama. Thanks to the technology I mentioned a while ago. If everything goes smoothly, he shouldn't worry too much with it. He doesn't know how thankful I am. I'm going to have to load him down with Deer Meat when I come back.

I realise in some way's I havn't been myself latley. I don't like to admitt it, but, the inertia was getting to me. Now, I have so much to do...I have so much to say. Things I've wanted to say latley but, havn't. Now I've had enough of typing. I'm ready to get up from here and move.

The next year and a half of my life is going to be very interesting
Appalachian Intellectual

9 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Yeah, Appalachia, that's one of those good news/bad news things and you're right about 17 Apr getting here 'fore you know it. Time will certainly fly now.

Hopefully you'll be able to access your blog occasionally and keep us all informed of what's happening with you, if you have the inclination, of course.

Plus you know you'll be in some folks besides family thoughts and prayers. Folk you never met, but feel like they kind of know you.

I didn't know about a cat(s), but we all know about Bosco, of course. Is your brother gonna take care of her?

8:26 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

THanks very Much Gunner(LIke your new profile pic, LOL). THanks for everyones Prayers. It's good to have someone putting a word to the Big Guy for you.

No, Bosco and the Cat, Pixie(She's technically my Ex's Cat) will stay right here on this hill. My Ex's Dadd live a stones throw away and he's crazy about Bosco anyway. He's been nothing but good to me and I thank him for it.

I know it sounds like a strange arrangment, but, it's a very long story.
Thanks again Gunner

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A.I.~
I also hope you will be able to blog and give YOUR own brand of words and thoughts from the "Cradle of Civilization."
More importantly - write for yourself via a journal perhaps.

YOU my dear Soldier will be in many hearts and prayers - I have no doubts.

**Hugs**

8:41 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thank you, Janie...from the Cradle of Foretry to the Creadle of Civilazation...LOL
Continue Blogging is actually the subject of another Post.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Annalis said...

Well, what a bittersweet post. I am happy you are relieved, but saddened by your leaving...

4:08 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I thoght that was Twister now. Make up your mind. Man, everyone has fun with those intitials. I ought to hold a contest.

Well, Annalis, I'm not sure what to say. But, Thanks. It's very sweet of you. Just don't go no where yourself.

As for my continuing to Blog, I'll talk about it.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow! I cannot believe you are going and it is that fast. I hope that you will stay in contact with us.

Take this with you....stay safe, be careful and be smart!

I will be thinking of you and the others over there, you will be in my prayers.

Big hug to you AI!

2:40 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Good luck! Stay out of trouble.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I don't know, if you see Twister with his Tacking Collar on you might change your mind.

Lee Ann, thanks. Actually I was close to leaving in less time last year. But, the postion was filled. Again, thanks,it was real sweet of you. You be carful driving around B'ham.

THanks exMI, was planning on taking the survey, but,I've been a littl caught up. Youl go take his survey.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home