Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Mice Or Men?

"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry", Robert Burns

"Prior planning prevents piss poor performance", First Sergeant Purdy

Today my Fortune Cooky read, "You know where you are going and you know how to get there".

What does April hold? In my case, I better have more plans than one.


The News is telling us that Iraq barely avoided Civil War. That place has been in Civil War.

Appalachian Intellectual

8 Comments:

Blogger Elvis Drinkmo said...

Hey AI,

Spekaing of April and out of curiousity, do you have a garden? I'm going to put in some potatoes this year- a first for me.

Any advise? I know you're supposed to get 'em in before St. Patrick's Day. People are also warning meabout potato bugs- any suggestions there? I hate the thought of using pesticide. If I was going that route, I'd just buy them at the store. But last year I lost all my beans. We only got two messes from the whole batch, so I may have to sell out this year.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

"There is one great thing that you men will all be able to say after this war is over and you are home once again. You may be thankful that twenty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great World War II, you WON’T have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, “Well, your Granddaddy shoveled shit in Louisiana.” No, Sir, you can look him straight in the eye and say, “Son, your Granddaddy rode with the Great Third Army and a Son-of-a-Goddamned-Bitch named Georgie Patton!"

6:04 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Howdy Elvis, A very appropriate comment for such a post. I read that Robert Burns was inspired by ploughing open a Mouses nest. I don't have a garden. I have some interst in it, but, considering much of June I spent at Ft. Lewis Wa and Sptember at Ft. Mclellan Alabama, it would have been about impossible for me.
As for Taters, my used to be kinda sorta like Father Inlaw had every single on of his rott in the ground. It just rained too much. He, mostly at the insistance of his Elderly Mother, plant by the signs. But, we joked that a man with a 20 acre feild can't do that. I beleive you plant them while theyre in the feet. The Indins made little hills and put three Corn seeds in it, then let their beans grow up them. Corn takes away Nitrogen while Beans puts it in the ground.
I know you'l didn't hardly get any rain this last year, while on my end of Appalachia Taters rotted. "The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry".
Murf, many people think that, minds more strategic than Bill Maher. Saying that he formed a power balance in the region and, Iran runs rampent in Iraq now. Iran is running the Civil War there. It's a valid speculation. I fear now we best focus inward. Tighten our Shot Group up. Quit blaming George Bush for every rain drop that hits our nose.

Thanks Gunner, I needed that. I'd rather clean up George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld's mess in Iraq than King Rex's in New Orleans.

8:19 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Your comment about Iraq already being in a Civil War is interesting and, in my humble opinion, correct. However, Civil Wars are awfully hard for an outside country to clean up. I think of our own. Most of my kinfolk fought for the south--it was a terrible war--but I think it might have even been even worst if Britain or France had jumped in.

As for your fortune cookie, it sounds like a personalized version of John 14:4

7:51 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, I agree. That is that outside powers don't usualy clean up a civil war. Personally, I don't think that whatever we do that it will "clean it up". What you have is what you have.
But, I don't see our Civil War as a Civil War as that the Confederacie was a legitemate state.
John 14.4...I'll look it up Thanks! Hope your doing better.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Annalis said...

Hello AI, I was thinking about you.

12:57 PM  
Blogger sage said...

what constitutes a legimiate state? certainly the south developed a government (which ran remarkably well considering how ineffective it really was--remember our NC Governor Vance wasn't known for saying nice things about President Davis), but is constituting a government enough? It seems that recognition from other nations is necessary--but did anyone recognize the south (I'd have to check this, but I don't think so even though England and France offered some help via trade)

ok, I flunked your verification test

5:22 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Deep qeustion, Sage.
I don't beleive that recognition of other Governmnets maintains a State. I.E Israil, and, Hamas is advancing "Palestine" into a State. The Confederacy had , established borders, a Constitution, a Governing Body and over all wide support.
As far as I'm concerned States should still have the right to succede. As long as the Argument doesn't turn kinetic again.

Anilis, so very sweet of you.
Heck, I got 8 letters!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home