Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Just Plain Interesting Stuff...


On Chestnut Knob, Deer Season "05. Pisgah National Forest, Transylvania County NC.

Do you know what's cool? Carrying in Fire Wood in the dark while Rush's "Working Man" play's on the Stereo.

I heard an interesting song on WNCW(The Hippie Station) today. Looking at their Play List I see it was by Marty Stuart. It was a song about an Indian Cheif that was killed at Wounded Knee. Before that was Van Morrison doing Blues. I realy liked it. Any way, Marty Stuart claimed that Big Foot, the Cheif, warned Custer not to follow the Souix into the Litle Big Horn Valley. Custer as we can all obviously see in History saw his name in big bold print as News Papers back in the East proclaimed Victory over the "Savages". Col. Custer made mistakes Strategically, Operationaly and Tactically, I can't help but think of it at every mention of the man's name. He went into the Little Big Horn Valley sure of a win until he saw all of those angry Indians coming out of those Villages. Custer was found wearing nothing but his Socks and an arrow shoved up his penis. Unscalped.

That reminded me of some interesting qoutes I had read this morning. Though you may not like what the man say's, feel nuetral or completley agree, the qoutes are very amusing. Interestingly, two of them are about the French. Mind you, the French are not all bad. Unfortunatly, much of our Military Doctrine was modeled after the French. Fortunatly, many of us realize that.

I see alot of Moral Conflict in the head lines latley. That is not Moral within ourselves, a fight over Abortion for example, or any of the usual internal arguments that are seen nightly on the News. It's the Conflict and Discord between the West and the Mid East. Moral War is what say's we are right(Not just blabbing it), draws your freinds closer to you, casts your enemy in doubt, and as John Boyd pointed out, prevents the seeds of future conflict. We are a long way away from the last one. Moral War takes place on all of our levels of War, as the U.S Army see's them, Strategically, Operationaly and Tactically. Everything from the actions of Nation and Organization leaders to our Soldiers patrolling Iraq showing respect for the people in the neighborhood. Well, with Al Qaudas latest Video's, President Bush's last State of the Union Speech, the statements coming out of Iran and the Cartoon Riots it's really heating up. Strangley as it is, lines are still being drawn in this War.

At Drill I was told, basically, be ready to leave in April. But, that was not definate and would more than likley change. Either way, I have to be ready to leave in April. This is an interesting time of the year.

No real cool sign off, but, just wait...
Appalachian Intellectual Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, April. That's alot sooner than I thought, though I do understand its not written in stone.

Keep putting those ducks in those rows so you will be be ready.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No, as Peter O'toole said in Lawernce of Arabia, "Nothing is written". I don't remember him saying it in The Seven Pillars Of Wisdom. But, I plan on rereading it again. Don't worry, Janie, I'll keep putting those ducks in a row.

Murf, I like Rush. I have since I first heard Spirit Of Radio. I'm alway's going to like Rush. I ain't ever going to change.
Hey! I only have 5 letters.

7:47 AM  
Blogger sage said...

interesting post that rambles on a lot of topics. I'd like to hear you develop the line about "moral war" further--in light of what's happening in the world and of the stances we take with the various hats we all wear (religious, civic, military, etc).

Gotta to love Rush (the group not the other guy)

11:07 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You know Sage, I was getting ready to, but, then it was getting late and that is a one great big subject. I beleive I will over a series of Posts. Rush is great! The "other guy", well, he's not all bad.

I woke yesterday to the prettiest, fluffy snow. It didn't last no time. Now, their calling for a few inches. What does that have to do with you'l? Nothing really, I suppose.

Everyone say's I'm rambling. Maybe, I'm being ambigious.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Well, AI, whenever you go, be sure you pack your laser.

8 letters! Why me...

9:21 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I like Rush too.
Beautiful picture.
April, wow...good luck.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That was interesting Gunner. I'll have to bear that in mind.
Rush is just a kick as band Lee Ann. Murf, who thinks everything Canadian is gold for some odd reason doesn't think so. Glad to know someone else has good taste.
Thanks for the luck Lee Ann.

8 Letters on my own Blog!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

The whole thought of a moral war always depends upon whose morals. i sure wish there was someway to get past folks inability to comphend other folks. Especially when both we, and the other folks have guns. It looks like a long gittin' (mountain western saying-- I wasn't always in Georgia)

11:27 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I've heard that saying before 3&10. So, that is where it came from? Your right, there's nothing like a contest of wills that turns kinetic.

Wouldn't you just figure...8 letters.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home