Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I Love Switch Grass


The President mentioned it last night...Switch Grass. I love the stuff. It's excellent browse for Deer and other game as well as cover. It's native to most of the Eastern States. Unfortunately it was over browsed by Farm Animals and in some cases replaced with Fescue, a non native grass. I know it has a high amount of hydrocarbons in it. As for using it in the making of Ethanol, as President Bush mentioned, I'm not sure how that would go. My Ex's Uncle worked for the Forest Service and I quizzed him on the stuff quite a bit. The first year it's put out it doesn't grow well, but the second it takes off. So I've been told. Also if it's cut at less than 8" it will die out. Hence the over browsing by some Animals. I've been threatening to throw some of it out here recently. Maybe when I come back from Iraq(If I go at this time) it will be doing well. I had mentioned it to Dave at Red Georgia Clay, but he said he was too far South for it. Never mind, just being a Rockabilly Hill Billy Nerd.

I really don't feel like posting tonight. I figure I ought to though.I have Drill this weekend. There won't be any posting later.
How the thing works
Here is how a Climbing Tree Stand works. Look at the picture below. Notice there are two parts. The one with the big board attached and another with a small one. The piece with the big board is the part you stand on, the other a seat. If you'll notice there are parts on both pieces looking like boomerangs. Those are blades that wich are attached by Wing Nuts, so that they can be moved. The rails are placed around the tree, seat on top and large part on bottom. The Boomerang blades are tightened down where they fit against the tree. Not seen are two blades on the cut V of the bottom. The three blades wedge against the tree, though not enough to hurt. On the foot piece there are two canvas loops(dry rotted) that the feet go in This is used to pick up the bottom. The seat has two bars with a wedge showing. It's wedged against the tree and is picked up to a manageable highth and wedged back in. The Hunter balances himself on the seat piece while facing the tree picking up the bottom with his feet. Sort of shimmying up a tree. Once in place he turns around, facing away from the tree. It's highly recommended to have a foot peg screwed into the tree to hang the seat piece on once your high enough. That as well as tieing the two pieces together and a safety strap. Falling from a tree stand can cause serious damage to the occupant. I had to drop from one this fall while climbing down. It was Ray's stand and I climbed up it in the dark not realizing it tied together with a string too long. I lost a piece.

That reminded me of my Technical Writing day's. I hope it made sense.

Appalachian IntellectualPosted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

I can't remember which state it was, either OH, WV or KY, but it was a state DNR guy being interviewed and he was telling the reporter that more hunting season injuries occurred from tree stand falls than from firearms related injuries.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Shimmying up a tree?"
Ok , A.I. I'll take word on it! It doesn't sound or look comfortable.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Annalis said...

Jeez, it sounds dangerous and doesn't look real sturdy. Have fun.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Cool, I had been wanting to see it! I just listened to a long segment on NPR yesterday on my way home from work. Talking about the benefits and the work being done on developing switch grass into fuel.
Very cool!!!!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you'l. I've hardly been near a computer today.

Most Hunting accidents are from Tree Stands more than anything. I figure twisted ankles are probably next. Seldom do Hunters have a Fire Arms incadent. I've been told a boy from here went to Ga on his first Hunt, they found him at the base of the tree. He had fell hitting the back of his head on the stand. That's a good point, Thanks Gunner.

They are notalway's comfortable, Janie. But, I sat in a cold, but comfortable one this year. Like sitting in a canp chair.

Murf, I'm going to put a cushion on it with a pocket for a hand warmer to go in.

Annalis, so good to see you stop by again. You west coast folks ain't all bad. No, it's not entirely sturdy, It's best not to take it over 12' up. It depends. I actualy prefer to Hunt from the ground. Trust me, I'll have fun.

I'd like to have heard that Lee Ann. It's good stuff. I had learned of it reseaching on the Novel I never write on. I have occasionaly seen it. We were joking this morning at work that some old fellar here is saying, "Corn can make Ethanol, and I've used it to make Corn Liqour...I've seen that stuff growing out in the feild. I could have made Switch Liqour!"

Well, I'm home late and I want to work out and pack for Drill this weekend. I'll se yun's in a few day's.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home