Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Resolutions of the Bold and Eccentric

I wouldn't be suprized if there was a New Years Resolution Meme going around. If so, I'll head it off at the pass. I'm big on resolutions. I wish I could be like my Cousin's Husband the other night and proudly say that I have never broken a New Years Resolution. I have. Simply carry them over to the next year.

This may read as a Proclamation. I have several and I'll not put them all down here.

I want to get better at climbing hills. That may sound odd, but, to an outdoorsman it makes sense. Through my 20's I did rather well. Coming home from a Ranger Battalion helped. At 30, I had to work harder, and, as most people in my age range do, I fell behind. Oh, I still do well on the Army Physical Fitness Test, but, climbing up the sides of Mountains with Gear(often in the freezing cold) is a little different. Getting pulled up a Mountain by an enthused Bear Dog is a true work out. It's as what the Jolly Red Head Giant said the other day, "can you imagine Bear Hunting for a month? You'd be in great condition!"

As usual, get into better shape. I count this different from the above. You can be in great shape, but, not use to climbing up hill sides. Some of our best Warriors find it hard to negotiate with Afghanistan's Mountains. So, yes, get in better physical condition...Abdominal, Muscular and Cardiorespatory.

Lose 15 pounds. That will enable me to conquer the first two a little easier. Besides, since I may be Activated and sent to Iraq, I'll lose it anyhow. The average Reservist is said to lose 15 pounds in country. I'm sure that may count for much of the Active Military as well.

A while back I posted a portion of one of the stories I am writing...Or should I say was. So, I plan on getting it complete. A hard thing to do, I just don't have the creative juices flowing your supposed to have. None the less, it's a story dear to my heart and I want to finish it.

I intend to be a better advocate for Environmental Conservation. I warn you this will be a vehicle for it. So, if your a Greeny or some one who wants to turn the world into a sprawling hell...You'l just have to deal with it. I love the woods and these ancient Mountains. I've read William Bartram and John Lawson as well as other's. I know the loss that has occurred...As a Mountaineer, as a Hunter...As someone with a love of the wilds...I want to preserve and restore.

As well I aim to be a better advocate for The Libertarian Cause. I had ancestors who fought at Cowpens, Kings Mountain and Yorktown. On one side of my family it goes back countless generations of people who lived freer lives than most imagine. They were all in these Mountains to live their lives as they see fit. It's in the Blood. At 17 Years Old, I raised my hand and swore to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. I believe in it...It's a living document. As I see it, it is an extention of that Oath. I do not wish to go down as a poor, socialized Man that lives a life of regulation from the Political Elite.We do not have a two party system...There is an alternative to the Masters of Redundancy at Versailles on the Potomac.

More fun with more Women, avoid their baggage. As I told a Girl last night, I like Women. I love to put a smile on ones face, but, they often come with way too much unnescary baggage. She agreed. So, yes, enjoy the company of more Women.

Back to the World of Consequences. Improve my Tactical and Strategical skills. Read, discuss, try and practice. That is as a Soldier, a Hunter, and generally as someone trying to make a better life for themselves. All will be put into practice, except next Hunting Season may have to be put off.

So for that matter, make more money. That will enable me to accomplish the goals I need to accomplish. The Lord blessed me with being able to pay off a bill recently...I aim to pay off another and improve my lot. Good Lord willing.

That's enough for this time...
Appalachian Intellectual

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As to resolutions.... I don't make them at New Years. In fact I don't call them resolutions. At my birthday I take take a look at myself... And make plans accordingly.

What you wrote out I will say - you have it down what you want and I don't doubt it will happen for you.

Definitely have more fun!!! ( ;

11:05 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That's a good way of looking at it Janie. That's a great way to do...Birth Day Resolutions.

Murf, leave it to you to read into something. In the way I refferd to Girls and Women, I meant no differance. It was more personal that way, for some reason. Either way I treat them as Ladies. Now for being more slutty? There are differant way's of having fun. Just enjoy their company.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ha Ha Murf

6:38 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Admireable goals, AI. A man without goals is like a ship without a rudder.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

And a ship without a rudder is like a hunk of floating wood.

Wait... that's probably too nautical for this blog.

AI, if you'll vote Libetarian, so will I. Especially if the dominant parties ask me to choose between Goober #1 and Goober #2, aka Goober Left and Goober Right.

fzdxtqdr ... yer killing me, man.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Gunner.
Ed, it's a deal.
Death by Alphabet.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Annalis said...

I'm a little late here, AI. :)
Happy new year and I wish you all the luck with the resolutions. Mine also carry over year to year. Funny that.

2:58 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Good goals there AI!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Analis, so sweet of you to stop by, I'm a little late getting back...the Army's Weekend. Thanks for coming.
Sage, a mighty big thank you.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

This has nothing to do with resolutions, but I thought of you as I read an article in this morning's paper about how dangerous and destructive wild hogs are becoming in this part of Georgia. One farmer said that he runs across several in his fields every day and he worries about unarmed young folks going into the woods. You are needed here, too.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I will...give me time. I'm a busy man latley.
3&10, some of those boy's I hunted with over there go to Milledgville some.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home