Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Bad Things Happen


If there is a recurring theme so far this Hunting Season, it's finding vehicles on their side in Macon County. Twister and I came up on this wreck Saturday after Thanksgiving. This poor Mountain Biker hit a "Wash Board" in the road and lost control. They were not in the car, apparently getting on their bike and riding down to get help.

The last day of Deer Season here is "Doe Day", the only time you can shoot a Doe with a Rifle.* It never has been a good day. The Weather is bad, Freezing Rain, Snow, Sleet or just plain Windy, and I have had Drill on that day several times. Once the Crank broke in my truck on that day. Yesterday I had a Radiator Hose blow off and the fitting, made of plastic crumbled. Now, I have to get a new Radiator. But, back to the Hunting. Thursday was a good at mid morning, I just wasn't in the right place. Friday the winds were high. When the Tree tops are swirling, the Deer take cover. Saturday was much the same. Even so there is a lot to be said about this Hunting Season so far.
That boy had fun...He walked up Mountains grabbing tree's and limbs to hold on, sat and shivered in the cold for hours trying to stay still and he at least saw some Sign. I think he enjoyed when that Wood Mouse ran down the log next to his leg. We didn't see any Deer, but, we had fun. Theres no substitute for fun, I've tried every single one.


I have to go out of town tomorrow. I'll be back Wednesday. I have to go to a pre processing deal on our pending deployment to Iraq. I still need to get a thing or two ready. So, if I don't respond don't be offended.

About that wreck, if you come to Southern Appalachia and travel our Forest Service Roads, know this...If it's on a bank, whoever has the outside bank doesn't pull over. The one on the inside bank does. The outside could be weak. I don't know how many times I have had to pull over because some Mountain Biker or Suburbanite turned Hiker doesn't realize this. They just keep barreling by. I don't mean to be rude, but, I'm going to stop on one day and explain this to them. I've actually seen where someone slid off a weak bank on account of it. Frankly, Yuppies are rude.

* You can shoot a doe in Bow Season and the last day of Muzzle Loading season.

Hey, I'll say something nice before long...
Appalachian Intellectual
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Perhaps AI, you ought to plan on just staying in bed on Doe Day and avoid all that bad mojo that seems to come your way on that day.

8 letters in the code, my best yet!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Come on down to Georgia where you can shoot a doe anytime. (Actually the season limit is nine does, and I don't know whether it is two or three buck. One local radio guy the other day called dear in Georgia rats with hooves. (He was talking about the overflow or deer right now.)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

, I just can't do that. I have to go.
3score and 10 more, thanks for cominh by. I can't afford that kind of Hunting.
I have to huury and get on the raod.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Yuppies are not rude. You just don't understand them. See, whatever it is that they are doing is really, really important. Always.

I am, however, a member of that slightly older group. Yep, you guessed it. I am a grumpy.

Seven letters. The complaining seems to be working a little.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home