Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say

No Bear Hunt...I know your disappointed. I did go Squirrel Hunting yesterday afternoon. I saw one of the biggest Squirrels of my life. It must have been the size of a Shi Tzu. I pulled the hammer back on it(An H&R .410 Shotgun) but it slipped behind the tree, then it got dark. What does that mean t you? Nothing as far as I know.

Business First
Now, this may seem odd for me. But, it's something that I feel is important. One of our biggest problems we realized that we had after 9/11 was our lack of Arabic speaking Linguist. After invading Iraq the problem was compounded. To make up for the lack of Linguist the Military started hiring Iraqis to interpret. They work in different places and different situations. They often face the same dangers that US and Coalition Troops face. They actually face more. Helping the Americans can be bad for your health. Either way, no matter what, sooner or later, we are going to leave Iraq. As to what the place may be once when we leave, it's in the air. Scores can be settled on Interpreters. It can happen now. Whether they do it for Money, patriotic causes or just for the sheer pleasure, they are pretty darn brave. One Interpreter called "Kevin" was seriously injured by a VBIED. Some of the Soldiers who knew him are trying to raise money so that he can have a wheel chair. You can find more information about it here. Should we help these guys? Yes, we should. Regardless of their reasons, they've gone out on a limb for us. It's the right thing to do. You take care of your help.

Actually
There are efforts being made for us to understand Arabic. Most likely we all won't speak it but, a little understanding is better than none. I have a Language CD and "Smart Cards". All Courtesy of Uncle Sam. We should have a basic understanding at least. I also have an NCOER* to do on someone.

Here comes Gun Season
As soon as I get off tomorrow I'm heading to the woods. I'll only get about 45 minutes of sit down time, but, it' better than nothing. I once had a niece pick out a bullet for luck. I'd chamber that one. Well, she was no luck. Actually my Step Daughter picked one once that delivered. I always say a prayer before the Hunt. God doesn't pick bullets. What does that mean to you? You've got to read a lot of Deer Hunting stuff.

That's about all I feel like saying tonight. Maybe tomorrow night.

*Non Commissioned Officer Evaluation Report, it's an Army thing and it sucks. But, it has to be done.

Appalachian Intellectual...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the opportunity a few months back to help a "terp" in one of my adopted Soldiers unit. The Iraqi man is incredibly brave. While working for the Americans; He had lost a child when his house was bombed. He put his family in hiding - in a town hours away to keep them safe and he continued to work with the Americans. He continued to work for his Iraq. I felt finally as a civilian I was able to do a kindness that would benefit DIRECTLY an Iraqi who was helping/working with my Soldier.

A.I. - It is good to see you put the word(link) out for Kevin, he and his family will have an uphill battle healthwise and this will help. I guess his sister is having some problems as well. Prayers would be a good idea too.

Enjoy those woods.

2:07 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

A squirrel as big as a shih tzu? It's a stretch, but I suppose it's possible. If it had actually been a shih tzu, I am sure you would have bagged it. They're really not that smart at all.


Not sure if a shih tzu is any good for eating, either, as they are mostly hair and yip. Can't imagine there's a lot of usable meat.

Anyway, what's this mean to you? Little, if anything, I'm sure.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Janie, ain't it the truth? In his society he now is at a REAL disadvantage to provide for his family. Wich, there means alot.
That was a realy sweet thing for you to do.
Ed, Shi Tzu's actualy make good gaurd dogs. They throw a fit over the slightest thing. I'd be more wary of a German Shepard though.
Murf, I'm going to write about Deer Hunting.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well that all depends on the size of a Squirrel. Two or three could feed a couple of people. They have a wild taste. Like wild Chicken. You get that? Honestly, I wasn't interested in the meat being that I have so much Bear around now. I would give them to my Ex Father Inlaw. He realy likes them.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home