Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Bears on The Brain

This Ad SNAFU is a dabgum pain. Bear with it.

Speaking of Bears! I love em! I'm going Bear Hunting Saturday. Wild Boar are in the mix too. I'm not 100% in health yet(I only managed a 1/2 day of work) but, I'll manage. It feels like someone is standing on my lower back. I'm happy to be breathing better. I hope none of you'l get it. It's a dabgum pain too. I just won't be in any races. I'll take it a little easier.

I got a new Rabbit Squealer. Just be glad that I can't make recordings. I searched for a Windows Media Player example, but, wasn't doing too well.(I bet AGT finds one!) Bosco, that's my dog for you newbies, is afraid of it already.

Ed has been missing his, and I've been missing mine. Battery Chargers for Digital Cameras. I'm so relieved. You'l just might get some Hunting Pics.

Bear Trivia.
The Cherokee believed that Bears descended from Man. I won't go into the story, but, there was a lazy boy who preferred to grub for a living than work. Eventually his whole Clan followed suit. They became hairy and got around on all fours. As much legend has Indians as a whole had to take ritual precautions on the taking of game. The Cherokee didn't have to on a Bear. Again, I won't go into the details of the story, but, the Animals were angry with man. The Bear first decided to kill man. He failed miserably, he didn't even get started. So, they took no precautions such as prayers and so forth.
The Cherokee word for Bear is Yona. Anyone who has gone through the Mountain Phase of Ranger School knows about Yona Rock at Dhalnoga GA. Bear Rock in other words.

Embarrassing Bear Hunting Facts
The weekend before Drill as I got out of the truck at the Boy's house I saw a shooting star. Yeah, I made a wish. Me and Twister both stepped in some getting the dogs.
I have a Camel Back I was wearing. I had taken the Bight Valve off so it didn't harbor any bacteria. I forgot it was out that morning and as soon as I hopped in the truck...Squish. All of the say about 2 1/2 liters I had in it came out. It was in the 20's too.

Just in case you are new
Oh, a Rabbit Squealer is a game call. I use a blow call. Keep it to yourself, you heathens, I know what your thinking. It's used to call in those predators, IE, Coyotes, Bob Cats, Bear, and so forth.

Appalachian Intellectual

8 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

I don't know AI... you may have stumped ol GunTrash with that one. I've seen blogs with sound, but never looked into how they went about it. I have looked into this outfit, but didn't spend enough time there to figure it out. But I have seen blogs use their player.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do believe you "sound" more healthy...(if that is possible to sound in print!) Glad you are feeling better.

Good for you for making a wish on that shooting star. I've stayed up to watch meteor showers and had a field day with wishes! ( ;

Having no background in hunting... its all "new" for any and most of your conversation about such things... (but I'm listening...)

Now if that Rabbit Squealer makes a bear noise... and Bosco is afraid of it...is Bosco afraid of bears on your property? Doesn't she run after them and give them grief?

* * *
I hope you don't mind these words for the holiday - tomarrow.

Go Thank a Veteran this day. And give 'em a nice hug too! Words come to mind, gratitude and honor, strength and courage when I think of all that have protected this country.

Thank you, Veterans!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, I don't have any video's to post. But, I managed to stump you...I can't beleive that.

Janie. Yes, I am healthier, thank you. No, the Rabbit Squealer doesn't make a Bear Noise. It mimicks a Rabbit in pain. It's not a pretty sound. The Predators hear it and think of an easy meal. You have to be CAREFUL doing it, you can get jumped. It happens.
Bosco is not so afraid of Bears. She does not like them at all. But, she's careful with them.

Yeah, it's Veterans Day. You just now made me realise. Thanks.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duh... Rabbit Squealer - now I understand....I was pretty turned around there on that! Better go back to listening! (:

10:56 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That's alright Janie.

Zombie Lama, I'm working too, and recovering from an ass whoopin cold. But tommorow, I Bear Hunt!

4:08 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I've never hunted bear (when I was younger, hunted deer, duck, squirels, etc)...

But I have this thing for bears. We keep coming in contact with each other. I've come face to face with a beer while hiking at night--and the bear was the one that left a pile in the trail! I've dealt with them trying to get my food (the only bear to succeed came into camp one morning at 7 AM--after my food was down from the trees). I've even been awaken by a bear sniffing for food--at about 5 in the morning and I was sleeping under the stars in the Sierras. I sat up yelling, only to see the bear back up. When I saw it was only a bear, I shouted, "get out of here" and he went on down the trail to bug some other hiker.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sometimes that's all it takes Sage. Next time eat a little later...LOL

9:02 PM  
Blogger sage said...

it was the bear that left the pile, not me!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home