Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Bear Dogs


Bear Dogs. A Plott Hound on the left and a Black n Tan on the right.

Bear and Hogs
The last two Saturday's have been fun day's. No one in the Hunting Party got anything, but a good time was had none the less. Once last Saturday we let the Dogs loose on what was thought to be a Bear and then yesterday we let them go twice. Once we thought a Walker Hound had something "tree'd" down below us. We did find an empty cave the Hogs had stayed in. The second time the dogs were let loose and then found a scent. They lost it on a warmer side of the ridge. I suppose you need an explanation. Here is how it works, an area with good Bear sign (or Wild Hog sign) is picked out. At daylight when the ground is at it's coolest Dogs are led on leads along an old road bed, trail or through open ground. The lead Dog is the "Strike Dog", this is the Dog with the best nose, thus, "Striking up a scent". The Strike Dog either catches a scent or you have them put their nose down in sign(generally a print) and if it's "Hot", then they start throwing a fit. You can bring another Dog up and see if it takes the scent too. The Dogs are let loose and depending on how many Dogs you have or how you feel about the scent you can hold onto some. Any more, and for good reasons, Dogs wear Tracking Collars. Some one will have a good direction and distance on the Dogs. The others take out either behind the Hounds or try to head off and meet up when something "tree's". There is also a terrain method of this. This requires good planning and "Actionable Intelligence". Hunters will sit on key terrain where a Bear or what have you would most likely run, such as a Gap(saddle terrain feature). Once the hounds start the chase the men move along the terrain to either head it off or meet up with what is tree'd. Usually a fight between the Bear or Hog ensues. Of course those can be bad. Of course it's tried to keep it from being too bad. Hunters care about their Dogs and if something happens to one it's a greiful thing. They will also go to great lengths to doctor them up. So, that's a very Basic Bear Hunting with Hounds.

Kinda Spooky
We hunted over Twister's way. I came back across the Mountain last night using back roads. I came up on a pick up truck that had went off the side of the road bank and into a tree. It was sitting almost on it's side and for all I knew someone was dead inside. There was no sign of anyone and I turned the truck around in the road with my lights shining on it. It was a darn good placed to get Ambushed. There is a Lake up the other side of that Mountain with lot's of wealthy people living around it. One could be coming up from Franklin and be a prime target. Someone could easily rush out of the woods, tackle them and take what they want. There is no Cell Phone signal and no houses for a way's. So as I turn around I'm scanning the wood line. I took the keys out of my ignition and payed attention to my mirrors. I checked it with my Pistol in one hand and my Cell in the other. There was no one inside. The Air Bag on the drivers side had deployed the seat was forward and the door was locked. I wasn't sure why they had ran off the road there. It wasn't quite to the curve, a sharp upward climbing "Horse Shoe" curve. The Highway Patrol had apparently put a sticker in the window for abandoned vehicles at some time and they tried to peel it off. I hadn't passed anyone coming up the Mountain and didn't for a long way's. It was miles before I seen anyone. They may have walked down or up to a house, but there was several possibilities. I wasn't sure if the Highway Patrol or the County Sheriff knew about it. I drove for a long way and never got a Cell Phone signal and being there was no one hurt inside and the Authorities may know, I didn't bother any houses that time of night. I stopped at a another County's precinct station and told them about it. That Deputy didn't hardly want to pay me much attention, I suppose because I wore Camo and didn't have Breast.

A funny thing. I passed a Church where someone had drove off of the parking lot and was sitting nose first in the ditch of the Highway. A car or two had their lights shining on it from the parking lot waiting on a wrecker I reckon. Kinda something wouldn't you say?

That's enough for now,
Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World
Appalachian Intellectual

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice looking dogs, I like the Plott Hound. I thought to myself, that those are some sweet looking dogs and then thought about what those dogs go "Looking For"! That's a mighty strong dog. I like them. MY favorte breed for a dog is a Doberman or a Rottweiler.

After seeing those pickups having such problems... did you drive more careful like?

10:31 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Good story. Excuse me, stories.

I think if I hunted, and used dogs, I would have a hard time with them getting tore up at the end by a bear, hog, mountian lion, etc. The guys out in coastal Carolina and Tidewater Virginia hunted with dogs a lot, but I think it wasn't usually anything so big.

I can also just see you skulking around with a pistol in one hand and a phone in the other checking out the wrecked pickup. Like a hairy Charlies Angel.

PS Thanks also for the Ramones commercial. You never know when you'll need "85 punk defining songs" all together in one place.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

They are nice looking Dogs. Bear Dogs need not be mean. The boy that the Plott belongs to has a daughter about 4 years old and she milled around that Hound and it was just as gentle to her.

Running Deer with Dogs is a very frowned upon thing in the Mountains. Not to mention illegal. It's a practice down east and in low country SC.

It's hard when Dogs get tore up. But, the Dogs love the hunt. Their all anxious to go and in the woods their all buisness. Beleive it or not a Raccon can tear a Dog up. If they follow a Coon inot the water, the Dogs might as well be dead. The Racoon will drown them, getting on the Dogs head and pushing it's ears under.

Janie, who say's I was driving bad? As far as the wreck, I hope their all right. But, in a place like that you just don't know. Better safe than sorry.

Here's to 85 Punk Defining Songs.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

A hairy Charlies Angel- oh man I wish he wouldnt have said that one- no I got a picture of you looking like the big sweetheart in the new Gretchen Wilson Video and I am sure you are much better looking in a dress then that one.

I been thinking I might want a bear dog for Idaho- mostly to save my butt. I joke about my first Idaho dog being called Appetizer but when you think on it better the dog then me I think.

Thanks for the stories though. They say fools rush in where wise men fear to tread- guess that describes you as a wise guy!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now A.I. didn't mean for it to sound that way...it just "makes you wonder what the heck happened?" And therefore you make adjustments to make sure you stay on the straight and narrow. ( ;

The hairy Charlie's Angel sure gave me a giggle! hee hee! Thanks ED!

Happy Halloween! Be safe out there!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Red Queen. Wise Guy, hmm. MOst people say that Plotts are the feircest Bear Dogs. But, a Norwegian Elk Hound may be good in that role. Don't get Bear Bit.

Hairy Charlies Angel...What do I say?

Alright Janie. But, wasn't driving bad.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said I liked that Plott Hound.

Well, after looking at its backgound, come to see that is the North Carolina's State dog. (Just a little tidbit fact.)

2:48 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It is our State Dog, Janie. A good pick. Our own breed. There is some speculation that they partly came from the Dogs the Cherokee's used. Not much is known about those Dogs. They did use them for hunting, that is known. All around they are great Dogs. Not to take away from Walkers, B&T's or Curr's(Spelling?). So you read up on Plotts?

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home