Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

This Might Gross You Out

o
We found this Doe a little way's below The East Fork. Apparently she got caught in the snag when the river was up, in other words, the level and current were up. We stopped to investigate, our first thought being she had either been dumped there or died of wounds. About that time we were passed by a couple in a canoe and then some young girls in kayaks. They looked at us like we were strange. Jello Boy brought up that we tend to have a thing for dead deer. I added, and getting dirty looks from girls too. My mother ran over a Deer Christmas Morning. I mean right over it. Her and the car were fine, but, the Deer, a Doe, was dead. Me and Jello went down there in my truck and threw it on the back. She had blood coming out of her nose reminiscent of Rudolph and her mid section was bad. Still we salvaged some of the meat. As were hauling it back up the Four Lane we were passed by a van with a little girl say eight years old in it. She looked at us with a sever "Go To Hell Look".
Any way, this Deer didn't stink that bad.

My Agenda
It's almost Hunting Season, actualy it is. This week was Muzzle Loading Season the one before was Bow Season(I'm talking Deer). Next week opens Bear and Squirel with Bow Season for Deer opening back up. I plan on hitting the woods for both, other than Bow Hunting. Maybe I should get back into Bow Hunting. Gun Season for Deer opens the Week of Thanksgiving. What's this mean to you? Nothing as far as I know.

Books Better Read
If your Military(you Civvies would benefit too, if your inot Strategy and such) I highly suggest the book I finished the other day. The Sling and The Stone, by Col. TX Hammes, USMC. It discusses 4th Generation Warfare(4GW) and explores or Nations(USA) options in dealing with the threat of 4GW. I agree with the Col. about 90% of the time. He does an excellent job of pointing the failures of theNet Centric Wafare theory. He mainly calls for reforms in our personl system. If you glean anything from it, you will at least learn how Arafat blew Intafada II. Sorry, it doesn't have any pictures in it.

Appalachian Intellectual

5 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I remember school in NC giving a pass to high school boys on the first day of deer season if they wanted to go out. Later it was the same dudes, the same thing, but a day off from work rather than school. Now, an a very wise man once asked? What's this mean to you? Nothing as far as I know.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ah, the good ole day's that you speak of. Not any more.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You'll have to settle for the same ol Jungle Boots.

9:18 AM  
Blogger sage said...

you know--always thought deer hunting was big down south until I moved up north--when I lived in a small town in the Appalachian mountains in Western NY-I was shocked that they closed school for the first day of deer hunting. And there, it always seemed that the deer came out pretty good on open day, with all the people killed from stray bullets and heart attacks. Personally, I haven't hunted deer since college.

The pic of the French Board--it looks heavenly.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

e a freind from NY. She said her cousin was showing off a picture of a Bear he killed at a Funeral Home. North and South, in some way's we aren't so differerent.

The French Broad used to be a nasty river. Espeacialy below the Davidson River. Yet, your right, she's a lovley river.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home