Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

"Sharing The Adventure"

The Adventure
One thing my Ex ever did was to hammer into the kids heads to share. Last night, my step son shared something with me...Adventure.
Here I was, tired, sleepy and just about to go to bed when...Knock. Some one was at the door. He and his GF were riding around up on some logging roads near the house here. They were stuck. Not only were they stuck, they were Stuck Bigger Than Shit. A Four Wheeler has gotten stuck on this road. It was pitch black like the Panamanian night. Those two souls had to feel their way out of there...Laurels grown up all thick. He wanted to get his Grand Father's( he call's him Pa Pow) help, but, I said to let me look at it first. Well, I go look. I was going to need better light and my lantern's mantle is broke. The boy thought it would be easy, but, would require a chain saw. Well, it wasn't easy. And we didn't use a chain saw. We go and get his Pa Pow, who I could tell by the look on his face felt like ringing his neck. We tried his big F150 he uses for hauling wood and a tow chain. Nope, she ain't budging. I was in the kids truck trying to back it out as it was being pulled. Love birds are watching nervously. As I was looking back I saw something black go right between the bank and the truck. What the heck? It was the spare tire off of the F150. We're trying to pull the truck up hill. That tire rolled 200 yards down the hill. OK, like I said, it didn't budge.

We got it out of there today. It took four chains, one steel cable, a 1 ton come along, a 1 1/2 ton come along and 3 1/2 hours of labor to pull that truck about 160 feet up the hill. That old road goes along the side of an old clear cut(probably cut off back in the 70's) where we had to pick our trees to hook up to.

It Ain't Bad
That boy has 350 heads on a 305 engine. But, I've gotten myself stuck before. And, so has his Pa Pow. We shared a story or two. One time, I followed a logging road off in the night. I turned around, the road was no big deal. But, just inside the curve I turned in was a foot deep hole that was just big enough to swallow my front tires. We had just gotten about 9 inches of rain that week and the leaves were slick. I had no idea who's property I was on and it was a way's to a phone. I had to put my tow rope, sticks and my coat under the tires as I rocked it back and forth for a half hour in Four Low. I burned up 1/8th a tank of gas. I was ever so relieved to get out of there. Some time later I found out I was on the biggest Ass Hole on that side of the county's property. A few years later, we both did something good for each other. So, it ain't bad.

Talkin' bout my generation
It's an Appalachian thing. It goes for the rural South in general. If the property is just woods, not posted and your not hurting anything, no one minds if you go on it. Something the outsiders that have come in don't understand . It's like the boy's Pa Pow said. When he was a youngin' hogs still ran loose(1940's). Everyone's was marked. Of course some where ferral and they would shoot them. If you shot someone's on accident, you gave them half of it and nothing was said. Just don't abuse anything. It's a way that is dieing. And yes, sometimes any more someone will abuse something. I believe the son's of the pioneers thing has died with my generation.


Between going to see Son Volt Friday night and the great stuck truck adventure I'm rather tired. I have to be at work two hours early as well. Special thanks to Ed for the post title. (and you thought it involved a girl...)

Free yourself and let you inner hog run free!
Appalachian Intellectual

5 Comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey, I meant to tel you'l it's a great thing to start your day listening to the Ramones.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Actually, my inner hog kinda runs free...over my belt.

I needed some improvement done on my house. I called an old boy that's been working this part of Florida for 30 years, which is back when it was still rural in nature and southern in mindset. It's all shopping malls and yankee transplants now, but I digress.

I tild him what I needed and he pulled out a pencil and a napkin, did him some cyphering and announced it was gonna be $2160.

What's remarkable about that. you ask. Only that he agreed to do it, I agreed to pay for it, and the deal was done. No deposits changed hands. No papers were signed. A crew came over and did the first stage and left without collecting money. So I called him and told him to stop by whenever it was convienent and I'd pay him some. It took 3 days for him to show up. He said he wasn't worried about me paying him.

That's how business used to be done in Columbus County, NC. Now it seems I done found me a genuine Florida cracker in Louis. He'll get plenty of my business, for sure.

Thanks for the stories. And quit complaining about your barracks so much. It upsets the ladies.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That's what I'm talking about Ed. Trust.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

AI, it is so nice to have you to entertain us since Ed is slacking in his duties (and whining about it) and hoping we faithful readers will let him get away with it. Ha, I say NOT!

I am really glad to have you back posting though. Have missed you and your great southern outlook on life stories.

I have total appreciation of getting stuck. About once ever 3-4 years one of our star employees will stick a dozer. The worst one was stuck for four days- they were cutting down real trees and I think that they actually stuck the highlift at the same time. Now that is nasty work there. Be blessed

6:05 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, Red Queen, we were afraid it was going to take a D6 Dozer. But, Manual Labor did it.

Ed's just going through his cycle...he'll be back with a vengance.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home