Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

An Explanation Of Many Kinds.

Posted by Picasa
There's probably this notion out there that I don't like Yankee's. This is not so. Some of my best Army Buddies were from up North. I'm loyal freinds to someone from Up State New York(Shout out Amy!). If their good people then that's fine. In time they may grasp The Southern Thing, and certainly as long as their not Carpet Baggers. The modern day Carpet Bagger comes and pushes his way into your culture, imposes his values(or lack there of) onto you. All this time he's looking down his nose at you while turning the place into what he tried to escape.* Some are even from the South, but, Suburbia. All Rural area's are plauged with this, North and South.

I don't consider all people from north of the Mason Dixon Line Yankee's. For instance people from out west are just Non Southern. Doesn't mean that their bad people, just more of a tendancy for forms of Heatheness. If that's a word.

But, if I was to point my finger at Non Southerner's and Yankee's I'd have three more pointing at me.
I just felt it needed some explaining.

Administrative stuff
I'm planning on adding some links. A couple of Blogs, local Papares and Rock Bands. I wanted a DBT Banner, but, there not small enough. I don't link other Mil Blogs because there's a ring you can hit spin on when ever you want. I don't want anyone to think I'm endorsing some one either. wich leads me to a post by Alway's Question. He noted that he links for both left and right sided Blogs. "This is how dito heads of all ideologies become inbred in their thinking", he said. I agree, as I commented wer'e often preaching to the quire.

I was tempted to go see Hank3 play in Asheville tonight. Just the first half, but, there is packing to do for Ft. McClellan this week and I better hang onto some cash. Not that I spend much, but, going on Oders for 26 day's, I better be prepared. I'm leaving Tuesday afternoon. I don't know how often I'll be able to post. There's tow Transplantavanians, other wise known as my Dad and Brother, an hour or so down the road, so, that's a possibility. I may do a journal type thiing like I did at Ft. Lewis. Though I feel a majot Hill Billy Rave coming on...

If your just stopping in, dance around the campfire, hang around a while. If you want to hang out, read my first post, Kituah. Don't worry it aint long.

* an almost mirror coment I made on The Peanut Queens Blog. I found her through Sage. Go check them out.

It has often been observed that something of the frontier still lingers on in the culture of the South. Partly this came about becauseof the isolation of the South during the Civil War, and partly it is because of the bitter poverty in the South for many decades afterwards. Southerners continued their frontier ways after such ways were abandoned elsewhere becuase they could not afford any other. Is it stretching things too far to see a hint of the Southeastern Indian in some of their heritage? Is there something of it in the Southerners love of hunting and fishing? And is there something of it in the Southerner's admirattion of wild and reckless bravery?
Closing paragraph of "The Southeastern Indians", Pg 501, by Charles Hudson.

Rock and Roll around my head fifty watts happening...
Appalchian Intellectual

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AI,
And it is the way of your words..Your Southern way....your "explaination of sorts...that is a draw for me to look around this blog. Years ago, I said it to my family that I thought I must have lived in the South in another time... I've been drawn to the Missippi River, paddle boats of another time...the search of knowledge of a past era ..an era filled with pride and gentile ladies....

1:12 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Janie, I would suggest that you read "Rising Tide" listed in my book meme. Alot of Mississipi River History in it. Some pretty, some not. A Great Read.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Stay Safe AI, You will be missed but I am sure you will come home with some more great musings.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

Nice.

You quote Cracker and reference DBT the same day I quote "18 Wheels Of Love".

We're working on the same wavelength here, my friend.

I went to New York City,
But then I come right back,
Everyone was cool there,
I couldn't get no slack
You seen me in the papers,
You seen me in the Voice,
I think I'd stay in Dixie,
If I had the choice.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks AI. Sounds good.

Looking forward to your "Hill Billy Rave... ( ;

You take care.

2:05 PM  
Blogger sage said...

interesting quote about the south and frontier--as a Southerner who has spent a lot of his time studying the American West (including a dissertation on the subject), I'm going to have to chew on the notion of the South being frontier. The definition often used for frontier was non-natives per square mile (thanks to Mr. Turner and his thesis that has been so overused). The South certainly didn't fit such a definition by the time of the Civil War. I think one notable distinction between western and southern settlement is that the west was mostly an urban settlement and the south mostly rural.

Enjoy the music!

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me tell you something about "carpetbaggers". They are running/ruining the country these parasites are! Some of them appear to be politicians and others appear to be CEOS/big businessmen and still others are in miscellaneous places of power. Wolves in sheeps' clothing. This has been going on since 1865. Now that I have addressed that let us move on to the appearance of the willful footdragging of FEMA during hurricane Katrina. They got a bad name for being a bunch of welchers in Franklin not paying off all the disaster bills they were supposed to. Half-assed half-measures! The state had to take up their slack, in other words, out of NC taxpayers pockets! Folks up Peak's creek banded together and hired a lawyer to sue the insurance companies tryin' to weasel out of paying their obligations to those who had their homes destroyed by a land-slide-not a %*&@#!#%^flood like they tried to lie and say! Why the hell should anybody need any kind of carpetbaggin' insurance company for anything when we pay the most taxes of anybody on earth and should have all the bases covered from natural/man-made disasters to health disasters? I tell you why-'cause it looks like we got us a "carpet-baggin'" federal government just full of half-assed excuses takin' folks for fools, the cons. The maximum effective range of an excuse when you are in a position of maximum power using the most cash revenues on earth at your disposal is ZERO, ZERO, ZERO!!! Looks like the whole nation's gonna have to pass the hat around, combine their money and sue Uncle Scam for:(A)Gross negligence (B)Willful sabotage of the real American way (C)Damages done to Americans through harmful policies (D)Lying (there is another word for it but I prefer the direct approach) (E)Interest accrued...did I leave out anything-I know I did. The aboriginal American nations (Indians) are doing this with their "Coyote Warriors"-why can't the rest of us? Another question: Texas sez it's running out of room for the New Orleans refugees-is that because there are so many illegal aliens as well as all that cheap migrant labor they let in? OUT-F___ING-RAGEOUS!!! A sure recipe for eventual civil dissent of the upteenth level. By the way Germany was the first nation that I heard of that stepped up to the plate to help us within the first 12 hours of the disaster-where were the others? Deustchland uber alles! P.S. On my last writing I mentioned "refugees from Sodom and Gommorah"-I meant "escapees from Sodom and Gommorah". Rangers lead the way and politicians need to pay!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A.I.
For a moment, I thought the above post (#8) was the Hillbilly Rave you wrote, was coming on....but then I remembered the Guest Post you had by Twister...

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home