Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, August 08, 2005

A relic From The Past


A Relic Of The Past. Starting in the late 1890's and up until WWI Appalachia had a Logging Boom. Rail Roads, mostly Narrow Gauge, were built to haul the Timber out. The Tree's were massive. The American Chestnut was the dominate species, during the boom it was killed by a blight.(Progress is being made on this Tree!) The rusty object in the picture is a rail from the Rail Road that ran up the Davidson River, Transylvania County NC in what is now The Pisgah National Forest. Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Neat find there, AI. There's something similar here in Greenup Co, but believe it was iron ore related and not hardwood. Although, hardwoods were timbered heavily in Eastern KY like most of southern Appalachia.

That river looks like it has some trout potential. Is it?

8:40 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

AGT, it has lots of Trout. It is stocked ith Brwon, Rainbow and has the Native "Specal". If they got rid of the Brwons and Rain Bows, there would be plenty of Specal becuase the latter two eat the Specal. A Bioligist admitted to me the only reason they stock Brwon and Rainbow is to keep groups like Trout Unlimited happy. And Trout Unlimited wonders why they can't get many locals into their group.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I meant to type Brown...some fingers are faster than the others.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

AI, thanks for the scoop on the Chestnut tree. We have planted over 100 chinese chestnut trees on our properties in W. PA. The deer love them and they are so good at getting the nuts out- I think they use the shells to pick their teeth later-ha. Our chestnuts have developed worms and since I could never be a contestant on ramblin' eds favorite show I find the added protein a bit unnerving. Dont know what to do about it so for now we are just feeding the deer and turkey.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Mrs. Red Queen. Feeding the Deer and Turkey is fine...they'll taste better!:) American Chestnuts dwarf Chinese. The nuts are smaller, but, much sweeter. Kind of like a sweet patato. Hey, get some of the Hybrids to go with them. A quick story about the Chinese...My Step kids threw a bunch in a drawer once and didn't tell anyone. About a two weeks later I opened the drawer..."Hey Kids, come here"...the drawer was full of worms! Of course they had forgotten about them. They were amazed!

4:30 PM  
Blogger sage said...

The Chestnut was a great lost to Apppalachia. I too am always out searching for old railroads...

I love your part of the country--before I took off West, I hiked the Appalachian Trail, then it was time for the west and after more than a decade of desert mountains, I find myself in the midwest.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home