Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Fog, Dog's, Skunks and Punks

This is a recreation of the last lost post...
Foggy as all get out

August Mornings in the Mountains alway's have Valley Fog. Up on the Mountian it will be clear, but, down below it's thick. Especialy close to the River. The Fog burns off anywhere from going on 10 until Noon. Noon is rare, but,it happens. Once the Fog is gone, watch out, Appalachia's notorious Thunder Storms are building. It's Dog Day's and sometimes they just sit there with their Thunder and Lightening and can realy put down the Rain.

Napalm Sticks to Kids, Lightening Sticks to Dogs
Bosco hates Thunder and Lightening, fears it greatly. I've seen her hiding from it 45 minutes before I heard the first crash. On my way home Thursday before last it was storming in different parts of the County. I imagined in her mind she can see Lightening wrapping around her body and repeatedly slamming her into the Earth. Like a Youngin' flinging a knotted rope into the yard. I could imagine her a wailing..."Argh Argh Argh". Up in the air she goes and back into the ground until she repents for killing the kids Guinea Pigs that time. Or maybe Lightening just doesn't like dogs. Lucky for her the storms didn't hit at the house.

Skunks, You've Gotta Love 'Em
Walking into my Civillian Work Place the other Friday morning I could faintly smell a Skunk in the air. The hoods in the lab were on so they would have that smell(a sulfate I beleive) sucked in. Latley at work we have been finding the scat(Turds to you heathens) of some Varmint on our back dock and parking lots. We have the notion it's a Skunk. My Dad caught a Baby Skunk when he was a kid and they kept it as a pet. They finaly had to get rid of it becuase it was spraying things that would get around it at night.
The year before last, just getting back from Annual Training, I went to see Hank Williams III play. I picked up a freind, Horse Slayer to be exact and he was drinking. The boy just up and decided to drink, I think it had something to do with a girl. I told him he couldn't have it in my truck. So, he pours it out. Partly in his drive way and partly in my truck. He's all apolegetic. I just hope I don't get stopped. I don't know what he was drinking, but, it stunk to high Heaven. Then at 0200 when I'm gettin home here comes Bosco chasing a Skunk, tail raised spraying as it goes, down the drive way past me. I didn't bathe her in Tamato Juice or nothing, just wouldn't let her in for a week.

Punk Rocker Attention Defict Disorder
Hank III is much like his Grand Daddy. He puts on a great show. The first part is all Hill Billy, the second is Death Metal, wich to me is wasted energy, but, that's me. At the end of the second show this Yankee Fellar came and grabbed Horse Slayer demanding he apologise to his wife. Horse Slayer did a good job of de-escalating the situtation. He had stopped drinking and was almost sober, thank goodness, and agreed to apologise to The Yankee's wife. So, here is the girl standing there pouting like a Punk Rock Version of Rosy Odonell(except about 6' tall) as Horse Slayer politley apologises. People, the girl's lips were stuck out and all. There's even empty beer cups around her feet. It looked like something out of a bad B Movie. Well, Yankee Fellar stands there like a tough guy as we walk off. I asked what all of it was about and he said the girl was flirting with him and he flirted back...He was drunk mind you...she kept on and he stopped. Well, old Rosy wanted some attention and tried getting some Drama going.
It's a long story, but, the other night I was in the Smoky Bar with him where he ran up a $15 tab and tipped the Waitress $20 because he has a crush on her. She's young, but, I know she can spell LOSER.

Well, I hope you have enjoyed this installment of Appalachain Patria.

Appalachian Intellectual...A higher sense of Humanity

4 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Enjoyed it immensley, AI. Your stories are definately getting better and better. You would not believe how many times they make me laugh out loud. And this...where did this come from? "Appalachian Intellectual...A higher sense of Humanity." You used to be so humble.

Boscoe vs the lightning was hilarious. And it reminded me, not of killing guinea pigs, but of trading my sister for 3 of them. Mom said I had to un-trade her. But we know, guinea pigs are way cooler than sisters any day.

Keep it up brother.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Ed. The Higher sense of Humanity...well it just popped out. Bosco did kill three Guinea Pigs. She managed to open a door, then a cage and "play" with three Guinea Pigs. She apparently thought that they were toy's. The Kids forgave her.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may have posted a picture already of Bosco in another post so direct me there ... OR could you put up a picture of your dog. Sounds like a sweetie! Oh AI, You didn't give Bosco a bath after the episode of the skunk??

10:50 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No Janie, I didn't bathe her. Letting it wear off was the most practical thing to do. Why rndure the smell myself.
Here you go. She is realy camera shy.

http://hillbillyrave.blogspot.com/2005/04/yeah-thats-fickle-thing-knawing-on.html#comments

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home