Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Goat Rope

First things first. I've set my profile for e-mail. (Amy, if your there, you would be proud). So! Ladies, send your Flirtations, Marriage Proposals and Bikini Pictures!

So What About Drill
I said that, "Ol' Hill Billy me" would complain about the heat. So, let's get that out of the way. I believe God meant some places for temporary use only, and during the Summer, Columbia South Carolina is one of them. I don't know what the tempature was. I could have sworn I saw an E-7 down the Firing Line burst into flames. The ground there ain't fit for nothing. It is all sand on top of a kind of whitish dirt. It won't grow anything but Long Needle Pines and Scrubb Oaks. Just plain ugly. The Sun reflects off of it, making the heat worse. It's not as bad as Iraq(I've been to Egypt, remember it well) but, with the humidity it realy competes. The Indians went there in the Winter Time to hunt, otherwise was smart enough to leave it alone.

What about Goats?
Fiasco's are nothing new to the Army. As long as there have been Army's, there has been Fiasco's. Soldiers, and variations there of, have come up with unique names for such things. Goat Rope is a polite one. If you ever hear a guy mumble "Charlie Foxtrot", he's a Joe. "Goat Rope", Goat F@!k, Cluster or Barn Yard Orgy...there the same. This weekend had the flavor of Goat. I'm not going to get into it too much. There was a Communication Malfunction and the Range was not completly set up. la di da...The Domino effect kicked in. But, Bright Side up, all but a few Qaulified. This may shock many of you...we have M-16A1's. The M-16A2 has been out nearly 20 years. The Weapons are in need of work. Sometimes they have to be refitted. Many are at least 30 years old. It's also a suprise that the Army has ammunition for them. There's a differnce in the Barrell's, so a difference in Bullet weight. The one that I shot...yes, you wind up just signing for any old Weapon...started out with a fairly tight shot group. Even being as consistant as I was trying to be, when I Zeroed the Rifle, the Shot Groups got bigger and bigger. Still, I managed to knock down 34 targets out of 40, so it wasn't all bad.

Tree's A' Fallin'
Thursday I sat down on The Big MC's porch while he ran inside. We ride togethor. He has great big tre's in his yard. He said a branch fell off of one as he sat there in his porch. His son had just left the yard. As I was sitting there I heard a tree fall at an old Home Site about 350-400 yards away. No one helped it. We rode by the place and darn if there wasn't a dead White Pine leaning into a White Oak. A good wind will put it across his road. We stay at a SC National Guard Facility on the back of Ft. Jackson. We can rent a humble room there for $9-13 a night. Sunday Morning as we were going up the Highway when we crossed a hill to see several cars stopped in the road. When we got there an old rotting Pine had fell across the road. Everyone there was either in The Air Force or The National Guard. One guy was hooking up a "Come Along" to the Tree and his truck. Me and The Big MC(AKA Jolly Red Head Giant) Threw the broken top peices into the ditch and drove around it through the grass. No one followed suit...



Eat More Goat!
Applachian Intellectual
(Willy to some)

5 Comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

Glad to have you back home- you were missed.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

So that's where our goat roping's came from. The navy must have imported them from the army. We, too, have goat ropes, goat f@@ks, and clusters. We didn't sign up for the barnyard orgies, but that's probably because if you put enough squids in one place to start one we'd just end up fighting instead.

Welcome back. Did you stop by and see Pedro while you were in SC?

5:46 AM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

Sounds like every National Guard experience I ever had. Until I managed to get out.

You're still using A1's? Why not 2 x 4s with broomstick barrels?

That's insane in the membrane.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Red Queen. That means alot to me.

No Ed, I didn't see Pedro. He's way out east. He does have quite a place there. We didn't manage to get flashed this time either. I suppose we're out of luck. We did see some jumping gas prices.

Well, J4 We know better. That's the shame of it. Yes, A1's...we are way down on the Totem Pole when it comes to gear. As far as M4's are concerned, I don't care much for a Broom Stick. But that's just me.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back!
Post had me smiling a bit..

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home