Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hey!!

How are you'l doing? Well, I hope fine. This is just a quicky post to say hello. I'm finaly on a computer where I can do such things.

I was talking to my Dadd the other day, and he reads this, he say's my spelling is bad. So, my apologies folks. We bloggers know that spell checker on this thing is a little hard, but, I'll give it a try again.

My day's are long and there have been some rewarding ones. Katrina did us little harm and we were able to operate as planned. Ft. McClellan is probably the biggest tragedy of BRACC. It's a closed post with only a small portion being used by The National Gaurd. Yet, in a way there is a blessing. Empty Barracks that Refugees can stay in. (Ipredicted that) FEMA has a center there (the morning after Katrina trucks were rolling) and they are opening up some of the old empty buildings to be used. Are they sending me? No. It's entirely possible, but at this moment not likley.

It's not easy sending Gaurdsmen to New Orleans. You have to notify a guy, assemble the troops, pack their gear, fuel up and head out in a low geared truck. From what I can see their doing a good job so far.

The Alabama National Gaurd has been realy good to us. The Range Control people are great. On most Active Duty Posts they are not so helpful. But, Ft. McClellan/ Pelham Range is great. They will darn near bend over backwards to help you out.

I've received some e-mails and I will get to them. You don't go unheard.

Qick thought...If an Escalator escaltes, meaning to go up. Why do we not call the one going down a Deescalotor? Just a thought.

Appalachain Intellectual

7 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Yo! A.I., good to see you're doing okay down there in 'bama. I used to do a fair number of TDYs down around Montgomery. I always thought Alabama folk was pretty decent people and I didn't mind going down there for a week or so. But, it was just so darned hot and humid in the summer.

Anyway, good to see you're doing okay and take care of yourself and we'll see ya' when you get back.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Your blogs have so much good stuff to say that I don't worry too much about the spelling.

Glad to hear that your long assed TDY isn't a pain in the butt. I always wanted to like Alabama more than I did. All the pieces were there; weather, southern accents, rural ways, friendly people. But I could never shake the feeling that they ust had too many doggone rules. Or maybe it was that they frowned on too many activities. I can't put my finger on it really. I just knew that while Alabama was cool for a few nights, if I was to try to stay there for long there'd be, shall we say, some disagreements.

Mississippi, on the other hand, was a bit more forgiving of things.

Sorry, AI, I got off track there. So glad you were able to post a little.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many states are trying to come up with a plan to house the mass displacement of refugees. It truely hurts my heart to call our people here refugees. My state as well - even being tucked way up in the Northwest...is looking to the Seattle Center and to the vacant hangers at the former Sand Point Naval Station as a possible short term shelter. Haven't seen any numbers yet coming this way. I've read this mass displacement could be rivaled in US history only by the numbers who fled the Plains'Dust Bowl or General Sherman's blazing march through Georgia and the Carolinas during the Civil War. So all of us better dig into our pockets and come up with some coin to help.

A.I. Take care.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am very much a fan of your quick thought. I will roll it around in the unused back spaces of my brain for a while. -Jn

6:25 PM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

A.I. Research has proven that the brain is a totally amazing tool. Better then spellcheck even- It can take a series of letters that are supposed to be a word but are scrabmled and turn them into the proepr word. Your blog is brain exersice so therefoer you are making us all better redaers! Tahnk you for that! PS You and your wit are missed greatly.

5:34 PM  
Blogger sage said...

tell your dad (I assume that's who you're talking about) that spelling is heredity and passed down in your father's genes.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Actually, it's a proven fact that most things hereditary are passed down through your father's jeans.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home