Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"In A Big Country..."


This is looking up stream on The French Broad River near Rosman NC. It's a unique, it flows north and is said to be the worlds third oldest river. The Cherokees didn't have a name for it, nor any other river. They only referred to it by place names in different sections. Jello Boy and myself took a canoe down it from Rosman to Hannah Ford. That's where Bunker Hill is at that I told you about in The Walton War. That's about 7 1/2 miles, a 2 1/4 hour trip. It had been raining for a couple of day's and the weather broke just perfect long enough for us to go down the section we did.

DUI's And The Mopeds They Rode In On
You don't need a license to ride a moped. That's why when someone gets a DUI they end up cruising along at 35 mph sounding as if a weed eater is winding out underneath them. Well, we have a few around here. There is this colored feller, he rides side saddle. Always on the left side. Sometimes he has both hands on the bars, but mostly just one. I haven't seen him in a while, I hope he didn't lose his balance.
We have another one you see more often. I call him Moped Man. When Moped man rides, there is nothing but him and the wind and you see him all over the county. He rides a shiny yellow one, decked out in sun glasses and a tank top. A helmet too. He reminds you of Dale on King Of The Hill. Now, I've never met the man, never heard him say a word. It's just him and the wind because he unemotionally rides down the road, nothing phasing him, head and eyes straight ahead...Just him and the wind. He skids to a stop at red lights...Head and eyes straight ahead...Waiting for the wind. Now, I saw him Saturday after going down the river. Ol' JB was behind me, he is my witness. Moped Man is winding out down the highway, alone in the wind and he's being passed by a couple of cars. Low and behold one is The Back To The Future mobile. I'm a looking at this thing as I pass it thinking My Goodness. Not Moped Man, head and eyes straight ahead...Just him and the wind.
Once, me and that girl I lived with were going down the highway on a stormy night. We were coming on a place called Cherryfeild Straights. The State keeps a gravel pile there. There's blue lights flashing all around the gravel pile and we're thinking there might be a wreck or something. When we get to the gravel pile we see two Cop Cars, a shiny yellow moped and a man standing out in the pouring rain touching his fingers to his nose...Yes, people, it happened right here in Strangelvania.

My Breif Absence
I've been trying t post, but, Hello was giving me trouble, and I kept getting knocked off line. Turns out I had a short in my phone line. The fine folks at the Phone company squared me away though. Also, the DSL line at work was down this morning. And you thought I fell off the side of the earth!

More to come you silly Heathens!
Appalachian Intellectual

4 Comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I was a wondeing if someone was going to catch on to the title...

3:30 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Darned, I feel kind of bad for Moped Man. Way you describe it, he wasn't bothering no one, just mopeding along, doing his thing, enjoying the wind and the world around him.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

AGT, you ought to get stuck behind him!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

AGT, you ought to get stuck behind him!

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home