Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Code Names, Political Personals, and Wars less known

Code Names
"Never Say Never!", that's what one of my buddies told me a few months back. I almost felt ashamed for saying "never" knowing he was right. The big suprize of the week is "Deep Throat" comes clean. Water Gate fanatics, Big Media*(and G Gordon Liddy) probably never thought they would know. All of a sudden we all do. Yep, Agent Felt is the man. I've never realy known much of a detailed history of the affair. I do know a couple of details. But, the one that has puzzled me is why in tarnation did they code name him "DEEP THROAT"! I know...so in case of a wire tap they are only talking about seeing "Deep Throat". That's the reason the guy didn't want to come clean..."Hey, excuse me you'l... Uhm, I'm "Deep Throat"...please, no questions". Besides, who ever was tapping them would know "Deep Throat" was a code name. They might as well called him "Egg Sucking Mule". Well, now that we know we can sleep more easliy.

Political Personals
I get a Yahoo! Personals e-mail a few times a week. It can be a convienant way of meeting people, and towns here are seperated by 6000 ft. Mountain Ranges, though I'm not active in it. Well this one girl featured, kinda cute, early 30's, Graduate Student, somewhere down the Mountain. She was a pretty gal, so, I went to see what she was about. Boy! Did this girl show her attitude. I will give it that she is honest. She has been out of country and said she didn't miss our President. She expressed that she was disapointed in the election results and said that she is not Christian and will not participate in any other religion. Well, she is entitled to her veiws and she is honest, but, she just cut her chances in half. She said she was mellow...saying all of that in a personal ad? I wouldn't say she is. She expects to meet a man? She's breathing fire on her reume'.** I wish her luck. No meanness intended.

War's less known.
Now, it's not too hard to figure out I'm in Transylvania County N.C.(I have roots in Macon Co. and North Ga. too.) The other day I was reading Red Georgia Clay and Dave mentioned that he saw an old friend on the History Channel discussing the Andrews Raid. This reminded me of some of our obscure history here in Transylvania. This Sunday morning I was visiting*** the French Broad close to where part of the incadent took place. The Walton War was fought between N.C. and Ga, yes, shot's fired. It's said that some of my Ancestors fought in it. The article will mention a Selica Hill(pronounced Seh-leeka, a Cherokeee word possibly corrupted and lost). Selica is a slice of the valley, not a hill. I've never known of an actual Selica Hill. I beleive that the hill mentioned is Bunker Hill. It would be defendable with the fire arms of the times. Apparently The People at the forks of the River agree. I don't know what they base that on though. It's poorly recorded as to the actual fighting.

* I borrowed that term from Appalachian Gun Trash.
**I borrowed that from lyrics of the band Everclear.
***It must be the Cherokee in me, sometimes I just feel like looking into the river from the banks. Some of my earliest memory's are with my dad(who is not Cherokee) gasing into the river. He knew it well. But, I beleive it's the Cherokee in me as well.

Appalachian Intellectual

6 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

AI,
That young lady don't seem none too bright for a graduate student. At least not in the ways of navigating the world socially.

Two things you need to take care in discussing are politics and religion and she hit 'em both just in her personal ad. Tsk-tsk-tsk.

Unless she was really interested in meeting some other young liberal firebrand to date and make kissy faces with. In that case, just maybe she's crazy like a fox.

Good post. Set me off to pondering. I like it when that happens.

Ed

5:23 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Yeah, MSM for mainstream media, but still, MSM sounds like something you sprinkle on your Moo Goo Gai Pan.

BM? Hey, it's got a ring to it.
Check out my music meme post - I tagged you and Ed...

You're it! :-)

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I probably had kin living in that area at the time the Walton war occurred. I'd never heard of it before, thanks for telling us about it!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Exactly Ed, you said it. Now, how did I get you to pondering?

AGT. It does have a ring. OK, I'm tagged...as soon as I post.

Dave, glad you enjoyed it. It's minor history, but, it's unique history. Thought you would find interesting(I specifacly told him to come see it).
AI

12:23 PM  
Blogger Don Surber said...

Why not just rename the blog Appalachian Intellectual?

2:04 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, Don, I can't see as to how it would matter. I have renamed it once already. It was originaly Hill Billy Rave, but, I changed it on suggestion of an Appalachian Ranger Buddy of mine. Though I proudly say I'm a Hill Billy it does invoke a streo type and the name reflects my current contents more. It's a Mil Blog as well as a voice for my troubled homeland that's semi political/cultural. Besides, every one uses their name for the blog title...Sua Sponte.
Thanks for showing up, Don. Why did you ask?

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home