Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, May 29, 2005


This is Black Berry's Blooming. About the time they bloom we have "Black Bery Winter", a little cold snap. It hasn't been very warm so far this year. Friday night me and my date went up to a place at about 4800 Ft. It was rather cold. It has mostly been low's in the 50's to mid 40's the last week.. Posted by Hello

4 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

I always wondered, A.I., if blackberry winter was the same as dogwood winter. You hear both terms used whenever you have a brief cold spell in spring. I suppose it is.

I like the pictures. We're actually in the foothills here, so it's nice to see the mountains.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Boy, this post brought back some great memories.

Nothing in the world was better to me than hitting a blackberry patch when the berries were ripe. Our whole family would head out with plastic pails and pick tons of them. Mom would can most of them.

I got my first turn behind the wheel of a car on an abandonded stretch of road on the way to pick berries one day.

Thanks for the post.

Ed

3:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Trash, it's my understanding that the two are the same. Around here though they mostly say Black Berry Winter. Our Dogwoods bloom around the second week of May. Down the mountain they bloom the last week of April. I intend to ask someone mor knowledsgable in these things and make sure there is no differnce. Shame to say these things are fading.
Your right Ed. You just gotta watch for snakes. When I was a kid we would smear the berry's on white T shirts and make our own Tydie. We didn't know it at the time though. It is nice to get Black Berry Cobller come July. A fellar I know went picking berries with his wife way up in the Balsam's some years back and The Rainbow People were camping near by. Here he is picking berries and two topless women come jogging down the road. He blushes every time he tells the story.

Willy

3:45 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That is if there is a local difference. Ammend to last comment.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home