Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

A Couple of things

Black Berry Winter...Dogwood Winter
I went to one knowledgable of more of the old time "Plain Living Affairs", my former Father Inlaw. OK, I only lived with his Daughter, but, he was practicaly. In his family planting by the signs is still practiced. He told me that, here at least, Black Berry Winter was different from Dogwood Winter. Reason is, as I mentioned, the Dogwoods Bloom a few weeks before the Black Berry's. That a cold snap at that time is Dogwood Winter and Black Berry is the last. I think Dogwood Winter is usualy associated with Easter, but, that differs in date. There usualy is one around Easter. Come to think of it, I should have asked my Grand Mother. I beleive it vary's from region to region. Dogwoods in SC and GA bloom earlier than they do here and it lags furthewr you go up I'm sure. Thanks to Appalachian Gun Trash for the comment regarding the two.

Uncle Sam
The last few day's out on the Highway I've seen a Red, White, and Blue sign reading "Uncle Sam wants you for Vacation Bible School. I'm in the Lords Army". Beside the sign was a blow up Uncle Sam. Sam's gone today. Some Red Neck is having fun with that one. He probablay has Mardi Gras Beads around his neck, listens to blasting AC/DC and patiently bares it as Coor's Light is spilled on him. Well, in these time's he needs to see how common people live...

Castle Argghh Book Reveiw
I received a mail from the Mil Blogs Ring asking for input on a book reveiw. Hey! I'm a Rocka Billy Hill Billy Nerd...Book Book..did some say book? So I went on over, read it and said my peice. You can too. So, if you beleive or don't beleive that the US is now committing Militarilism or your a War Geek, a Service Memeber or what not go here and give a read. It's somewhat lengthy. Be warned.

I'm gettin off of here. I've been here too long. I have things I need done before I crawl into the bed.
Willy, Appalachian Intellectual Extrodinaire

Yeah, I came back and spelled the title right. Sometimes I just don't punch the letters in the right order.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Hey, I see you've changed you name in the signoff. Did you get married or something?

Travelin' Ed

6:53 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No no No...I'm still AI...either will work. Just being more personal.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Okay, thank ya' A.I. for the rundown on Dogwood & Blackberry Winters. Now we know!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yeah, we do.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home