Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Hunting


I'm heading on a Hog Hunt Saturday with Twister. I'm taking my Winchester Model 70 Feather Weight (.308 Winchester) and my 12 Gauge Remington Model 29 pump. We're hunting with Dogs and the rule is no Buck Shot with Dogs. I'll be shooting slugs in the Shotgun if I opt for it.
So, here is a story of two hunters...First my Aunt's Boyfreind went Monday morning for the opening of Bear Season. He sat up on a Bear he had seen while Bow Hunting for Deer. I know exactly where he was at. I went up in there with him on the last day of season last year. It's affectionately known as Doe Day(here is the day after). It was dead, hardly seen a living thing all day long. Only a Bird right before dark. So, he goes up there and shoots a Bear first thing. Who say's you can't stand hunt a Bear? Him and my Aunt left first thing Tuesday for Colorado.
I went squirrel Hunting after work Tuesday. There were Acorns falling from the trees all around me. I thought I heard a rustle with one that fell wich usually indicates a squirrel. I stood there on the road and waited. No. Nothing there. I heard one barking about a hundred yards or so off. There was a Katydid yelling between me and it. So, I walk along the road and get to the slope it's on and it stops barking. There aren't many Katydids left now, but, they started yelling and the squirrels turned in early.
I'm planning on enjoying this years hunting season. Every indication is that next year I'll be in Iraq. If we invaded them for oil, that oil is damn sure expensive.

That's a Christams Tree Feild that you are looking at. The Trees are White Pines. The picture is a couple of years old. I shot a Deer in that feild once. Almost behind where I was standing. It's just a pretty picture.

Appalachian Intellectual



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A.I.
I don't know how my city neighbors would appreciate it...but I have some squirrels that need a lesson in sharing! You want to teach'em? They stripped my kiwi vines! The kiwis weren't even ready yet. I was so sad. May have to put some kind of netting on the kiwi's next year. Darn creatures!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Iraq? Next year? Well, when you go you will go with my prayers.

Now if I have this right, this year you are hunting squirrels and next year it will be squirrely dudes. Good luck.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I went to your post on Bosco and the 'coon. I enjoyed that one, A.I.

BTW, you've mentioned Bosco several times and somewhere way back in my cranium that name rang a bell, but I just couldn't bring it to the surface.


Then I remembered, is Bosco chocolate colored by any chance?

lwkyqbv

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't tell Bosco (dog) that a "bear" represents his namesake!

Gosh, I haven't used that syrup in a loooooog time!

12:28 PM  
Blogger sage said...

good luck getting you a hog--I assume you're talking about one of those wild hogs that Mr. Vanderbilt or someone like him introducted to the NC/TN mts for hunting... they need to be wiped out. Now this two gun idea?

2:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

THanks everyone for your well wishes. That is kind of you.

Janie: Sounds like those Squirrels were eating high on the hog.

Ed: Thanks. I appreciate that.

AGT, as a matter of fact Bosco is black. Now, you'l can call me a Food Heathen, but, I was never aware of Bosco Syrup. next time I get on an Ice Cream Trip, I'llbare that in mind.

Yeah, Sage, I'm talking about those Hogs. Their not native and will tear the woods up. It's actualy someones job to walk around the Smokey's and shoot Wild Pigs. They will never let Hunters do it though. As for two Guns. It depends. I know, it's against NC Law to carry more than one Firearm while Hunting.So, at anygiven time, I'll only have one in my possesion. I love my .308. It will take care of any game in these Mountains, a 400 Yard Gun. Though we here in the Mountains hardly ever shoot beyond 100 yards. But, it's a scoped Gun. Dropping off the side of a Mountain after Dogs running something can be hard on one. But, if I end up sitting, It's the one to have. The Shotgun is short and handy. Just a bead for sights. Not the most accurate and not as much power at too far of a range. As per my Mini Op Order last night it looks like I'll be behind the Dogs. In that case I'll be carrieing the 12 Gauge.

Alright. Lots to do. You'l Be Good.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home