Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Blogs, Dogs, Bullets and Coons

WooHoo! Yesterday was beautiful. The air was clear and the sky was so blue with the few clouds giving it a complmentary charecter. The tempature got well into the 70's(Farinheit, You'l) and the air was still. It was the kind of day that made everyone smile a little more and tolerate others more easily. A real pearl in the swines snout.

Me and the maintanance man climbed up on the roof. The night before last a pully had flung off of the shaft of a fan motor. A new one had to be ordered and it would be a day before it came(Granger is pretty fast, arrived today). In the meantime one was borowed off of a fan not needed at the time. So, a 1 1/2 Horse Power motor went on a fan where a 3/4 Horse Power motor had been. It's turning some major RPM's. The doors in that side of the plant won't shut all the way unless you manualy shut them. They just hang at about an inch from the door jam. When they are closed, they whistle. Industry is so entertaining.

I get to work early in the mornings. I usualy spend the time reading on the web. I found a real cool Blog, It's called Red Georgia Clay.The boy is in North Geogia, I suspect Habersham County maybe. He's has some good reading. and if your just joining me, check out Travlin Ed too.

A while ago I had alot more written, mostly stories about my dog. But, I hit the wrong button when linking the above mentioned Blog and it all went poof.

My dog has put a scare in me a time or two. Her name is Bosco, I didn't name her that, she had the name when she came to be here. She was rescued from the pound by my former Girl Freinds Best Freind. She had been on TV being featured and she couldn't keep her later on. She was skiddish at first with me, but, we have become realy fond of each other. I didn't realise the other night that my cell phone was on vibrate and ring. So, I hear this funny noise coming from her direction. I didn't know what to think. I called her(yeah, Bosco) she just lay there, then, I heard it again. I thought she passed gas, yet she was so still. About that time the phone rang. Bosco raised her head and looked at me like "whatever". It was the girl of latley on the phone. Her phone kept breaking up and I still don't know much of what she said. Every time that we have talked on the phone it's been like the bad calls you see on comercials.

I have nick names for Bosco...Love Puppy, Soul Dog and Groove Pooch. She's real smart, she'll stare at you and grin. Once she was seen playing in the yard in the middle of the night like she was playing with a youngin. She hates Bears. She has her own special bark for them. Oh, Racoons are on her list too. The last day of deer season I woke around 0200 unable to sleep. After spending a cold day in the woods, walking across a river four times then climbing some big hills and sleeping very little I was plumb tired. At 0515 the next morning she's demanding out...I let her out with my sleepy eyes half shut. No sooner than I shut the door I hear her into it with something...a Bob Cat Maybe? No, it was a Coon. I couldn't tell until the two parted to knash their teeth. Then the Coon made a break for it and ran across the yard and into the woods...Bosco in hot persuit. I called to her...no use. At 0745 I went looking for her. I stood on the porch and called her. She came around the side of the house. I had my .45 with me and sat it down on the porch(she hates the thing). I walked to her and away she goes..she had the Coon tree'd. I made it to the ground where the two commenced into a knock down drag out. A Coon will tear a dog up.(if your dog ever chases a Coon into the water, start digging a hole) I ran back around and got my pistol, ran around the house where the coon was back up the tree(A White Oak). Huffing and puffing I pulled the hammer back for a single action shot(a Sig is double action). The old Coon is staring at me with one eye and I take aim...BANG! I'm shooting a Hydra Shock Bullet, wich is a Hollow Point with a stem in the center. It is made to penetrate deep into a body and stay there while making a real big hole. Bad shot, a 1/4" off, I caught the side of the tree, where the bullet stuck. The Coon jumped out of the tree where it and Bosco ran in oppisite directions. I don't think it's been back.

Darn it's late! OK...shower and bed, here I come!
Appalachain Intellectual

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home