Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Amongst The Living

I have seen about every kind of weather this last couple of day's. The wind has howled for the most of it. Friday had a warm, calm morning, turned windy, blew rain sideway's, blew some snow. As I crossed the mountian into my side of the county all I saw was white. The wind blew snow everywhere, it stuck some about dark and blew away in the night. Saturday morning was warm but, the wind was feirce. 60 degree's with 60MPH gusts. It was thundering earlier. My dog hates it. If this talk bores, you, understand I'm awaed by nature.

Now, this morning was wonderful. It was as if where ever you were was the center of the universe. I stayed home for most of it, but, when I was out seems like everyone was about. I saw alot of Harley Davidson's. Seems like everyone and their brother has one. I don't reckon there is any thing wrong with that. But, in my mind, it's like alchohol, some people wouldn't have a personality without it.

I saw the girl I lived with for six years today. She had two kids that I never get to be around now. They alway's called me their step dad and I guess that I was. She showed me a picture of my step daughter...what a young woman she's turning into. She's 14 now. She could make freinds with a snake. I miss the both of them sometimes. I rarely ever talk about much with my Ex. I don't hate her. The truth is, I'll go to my grave loving her, but, could never live with her again. I told her about my "almost call up" and the news is out of the bag, my unit is being tasked with a mission to Iraq.She got a little red eyed I think, but, I paid her no mind. Said the kids ask, but, I don't know what she could tell them. She asked if I was scared. I told her it was a bit scary, but, I wanted to go do it and get it over with. I told her, I would make a point to talk to them before I go.

For the most part it was another weekend in Buttholeville. Don't get me wrong, I love my hometown. I call it that from a Drive By Truckers song. It's fitting. I think all small southern towns have a flair of Buttholeville.To me every thing is out of whack, a lack of harmony. But, talking about that would require alot of discussion.

I was supposed to have a date Friday night...and you thought I sit aound all by my lonsome..well, I kinda do sometimes. The woman was getting weird on me. She's a nice enough person, but, a little bit anxious. I don't want to be like Jello Boy. It's not love but the idea of being in love. It' to the point now, heck has been for sometime, it's alway's the "Us" discussion with him. You know the happy couple stuff that gross's you out. I'm just agrevated with him because he's being a real wuss. He figures he's hopless with out a woman. Don't get me wrong, I would realy like to have one around, I'd like to have someone in my life. At least I think I would sometimes. But, I'm not a hopless nothing as long as I'm me.

Mutual Female Aquantance is a good decent person. She doesn't see herself as being any better than anyone. She told me the other night she was going to find me a Girl Freind. Said that I was too cool not to have one. Law, I wonder if she knows what she would be gettin her into?

It sucks. I've got a sore throat and we have a big projest at work this week. I don't want to let anyone down. I don't like being sick either.

I've done a little thinking. Being a Mil Blog here(and a big platform for Appalachia and the South in general) I've given enough information that someone with sense can figure where I am and then, who I am. But, I'm going to have scrapes with my peers, supperior and subordinate alike and I'll avoid openly embarrassing anyone.(Jello Boy would sulk at what I've said for instance*) As well, how well can I keep this up with my Activation, Train Up and time in the Sand box? What and how much can I say without jepordising the mission? This is something I thought of before I started this and you constantly reasess it. There was a peice in Army Times about it this week. My conscious is my guide(I pray for wisom) and I'm a Non Commissioned Officer first. I will not undermine my mission. I veiw this as an extension of my moral obligation. I want to beat this enemy...I want them to bleed...and gasp their last breath.

*Jello Boy is my cousin for you new comers. You'll have to read back a few to know why I call him Jello Boy. And read my first post, Giduah.
Appalachian Intellectual

2 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

You wrote:
I saw alot of Harley Davidson's. Seems like everyone and their brother has one. I don't reckon there is any thing wrong with that. But, in my mind, it's like alchohol, some people wouldn't have a personality without it.

Well, Amen!, brother. I feel the same. I had a '76 Sportster,which everyone tells me wasn't "real" because at the time AMF owned H-D, but in 1976 that's the Harley you got, folks. Thing is, I had it in 1978. I was 18. Now an 18 year old with a Harley is something, AMF unreal or not. And somehow I managed to own it and ride it without my shirt, shoes, underwear, wallet, sunshades and glass eye having a H-D logo emblazoned on it. In other words, I had my Harley BEFORE my mid-life crisis.

Segueway to: I must be gonna live a real long time because I'm 45 and as far as I can tell still haven't had my mid-life crisis. That buys me at least til I'm 90, right?

Later, AI. You're good people.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, thanks for the compliment Ed. I congratulate you both on not having a mid lfe crisis. I wonder how people afford those things? You'l are alright too.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home