Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Some Things

Folks, tommorrow is the big day...This will no longer be "Hill Billy Rave", it will be "Appalachia Patria". The name will more truly reflect the persona of this thing. The addy will be http://appalachiapatia.blogspot.com

OK on to things. I've been linked(and I intend to repay the favor) It feels so warm and fuzzy to be making freinds...
Ed

A good fellar named Travlin' Ed Abernathy found me because we are both Drive By Truckers fans.(Dead, Drunk and Naked, Ed!) He's a Navy Man, coming down on 26 years of service, ready for retirment. He's a home sick Southrenor with good southren values. His blog is very personable, funny, and intertaining. Darn fine fellar, check him out! (Theres your tribute more or less Ed)
Rena
In an earlier post I reccomended the book Imperial Hubris, I did a search and was suprised to find a pretty woman listing it as well. RenaRF, she is. She's a Democrat that is kinda edgy about a National Sales Tax(wich I feel would make our lives better), but, she's not your stereo typical Democrat either(she doesnt' think Bush is evil, and is no fan of Hillary). Despite our differences, she is not the least bit hostile, actually a freindly person, deep in her convictions and that picture of her sitting in the floor is way cute!
Looking in the "random notes" section, you will find some of our conversation. I fully intend to link her.
Also, someone down east(the eastern part of North Carolina) commented on our debate over a National Sales Tax. That's Taylor, the parent of a darn cute youngin'.
Mountian Bikes
Southren Appalachia is covered by National Forest. In NC, it's the Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests, the Sumter in SC, Chatahoochie in GA, and Cherokee in Tennesee. Virginia, Kentucky and West Virginia have theirs too, it doesn't realy matter, they all share the same problems.
For the most part in NC, they are all "Game Lands", supported by the Wildlife Commision. The funds partly come from Hunting License fees. This means that they can be hunted in open seasons.
Mountain Biking has gotten popular in the National Forest's. I personaly have some respect for Bikers for taking on the physical effort. I've taken up for them on an issue a time or two. They pay taxes out of their paycheck as well.
A Biking coworker had seen two hunters with some type of tracking device and after riding by them a way's heard two shots. It's Hunters looking for their dogs, most likley Coon Dogs. No big deal. This freaked them out! My co worker said that they had a problem of the bike being red and white, that they heard Hunters like to shoot at red and white going through the woods! This poor soul said this with a serious look on their face. This is rediculous. It's a shame. More on this later.

I edited this from the original post. I felt more background behind the issue was needed and then later felt it was an accumulation of agrivations against the Mountian Biking Crowd. I do like my coworkers.

If you are just coming around, go to my first post, Kituah, it will explain a thing or two. "
Happier things later.
Appalachian Intellectual

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home