Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Rucking

Last night I was out too late for as little fun as I had. It wasn't as good as last Friday night and it wasn't grand. I was supposed to meet Jello Boy and Mutual Female Aquantance at one of the local hangouts. Mutual Female Aquantance was also supposed to have Freind Of Mutual Female Aquantance with her. She brings her up to me like I have never met her and I have...Maybe she's hoping that we can all be like Barny, Andy, Thelma Lou and Helen. I'll suck it up and be Barny. The thing is, it's a long story, but, we've met on a couple of occassions.MFA called me on the cell phone and said they were coming in a short while. After sitting there for a long time, looking through the arts and enterainment rag( my horoscope was cool!) and only having a conversation with a somewhat depressed Yankee, I was about to leave when they walked through the door. Well, there is no Freind Of Mutual Female Aquantance...no mention of her either. Strange after as addamently as she was bringing her up to me...oh well. Well, we listened to the band, an all strings thing...a touch of Blue Grass and watched the hippies dance. To be honest, I was bored right out of my skull. I might as well come home and argued on a National Sales Tax.

In a small town late at night you have flashing lights. Someone didn't handle them well. I passed a wreck on the way to my truck. I hope everyone was alright.

Well, I'm not going to sit here and complain. Today I did a Ruck Walk...or a Road March. I did last Sunday Morning as well. Last weekend, I walked here on my road doing only about 4 miles and today was probably around 7. I did a closed Forest Service Road walking out for an hour and a half and turning around. A ruck Sack is what the Army calls a Back Pack. Mine is an ALICE and to the unfamiliar, it's nothing like what you see in your hiking goods store. It's made to be lower profile and to be able to fit bulky stuff like ammunition into it. I carried a few things and threw in a set of dumb bells for weight. Rucking can be a very good conditioning excercise. Both times I wore my new Knee Pads, Balck Hawks neoprene pads(Hellstorm) The only thing I don't like about them is they say "Hell Storm" across the top. After a short while, you hardly notice the things are there and they stay in place realy well so far. As well, they provide alot of protection for your joints. As an added protection from getting the straps ripped open some strategicaly placed 100MPH Tape(Duct tape to you civvies) can give peace of mind.
A funny thing today, as I was walking back I looked down and there was a peice of trash. It was tied in a knot...I bent down and it was a tore off peice of Cellophane tied into a knot with pot in it. The things people drop. The Shenck Job Corps is just the other side of the ridge, it may have been one of them. It's still there if they get to missing it.
Oh, Depressed Yankee was a nice guy who is trying to fit in well as a Southrenor.

Till xext time kids...and don't forget to drink your powdered toast!
Appalachian Intellectual

2 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Hey, you wrote:

...a touch of Blue Grass and watched the hippies dance. To be honest, I was bored right out of my skull. I might as well come home and argued on a National Sales Tax.


Pretty good stuff, that.

I ate at a Thai Resturant and whatched my old friend's eyes tear up. Good story fodder also, but he reads the blog so I won't "out him" on it.

Mainly I just wanted to tell you that I went ahead and linked to you. It's easy. And to ask you to let me know when you change blog names so I can see if the link still works, and if not, change it.

Go into my profile and visit my other web page. It's really just a big photo album but it has a bunch of navy pictures if you look around some.

Tanks,
Travelin' Ed

5:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Does it help if one of them balanced a beer on his forhead? He didn't keep it up there for long, but, I sure couldn't do it. I'll let you know when I change here in a couple of day's. Be cool now...

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home