Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Random Notes

It is 29 degrees, raining and getting icy. That's winter time.

Both sides in the War on Terror(not a very good name) got a laugh yesterday. Yeah, I'm talking about the toy. The weapon didn't have a magazine in it. That type of knee pad that "he" was wearing tends to fall down onto the shin(Black Hawk Neoprene's won't). According to the Media a full accountability was mustered in Iraq. It's something what an illusion can do. Just look at the reaction it caused. The Jihadist laughed I'm sure. Who knows, maybe it even confused them.

Something that I would like to hear in the State of The Union Address tonight: We are going to seal our borders and cut down on Immigration. We are going to drill for oil in ANWR(those have to be done for us to survive GWOT on our own terms) and we will have a National Sales Tax(www.fairtax.org) One more thing, we are going to overhaul the Nations Military and not give it new gadgets and say everything is great.
I got the idea of this from Nealsnuze(www.boortz.com)

?Is anyone reading this?
More later...
Appalacian Intellectual


4 Comments:

Blogger RenaRF said...

Ok. Since you've found my blog and read a bit in it (I've posted a new more general musing since), I have now found yours. I figured out that you must have found mine through the fact that we both listed "Imperial Hubris" on our favorite books list. At least that seems the reasonable explanation.

Your post below interested me because outside of the book, it listed at least one other thing that we have in common: our views on Immigration. I'm interested as well that you didn't do a follow-up post after the State of the Union - certainly there was a LOT there to post about! Needless to say, neither you nor I got any relief on the issue of immigration. At least it's becoming a huge issue politically which gives it some hope of being addressed in a serious fashion.

I can't disagree with you more on the ANWR - the research doesn't indicate that there would be any relief provided by drilling there on the scale of what we need to address our dependence today, let alone what our dependence will be in 8 years, when they estimate any ANWR oil would be realized. Why is the answer "more"? Is there room also to consider alternative thinking, like tough fuel efficiency standards? There are a couple of good sites our there that provide statistically relevant information about how fuel efficiency standards and requirements for hybrid cars would reduce our dependence on foreign oil much faster in a much shorter timeframe. Rather than hang our hat on a finite resource, why not apply our ingenuity and entrepreneurship to solutions that factor the resource out of the equation? Just a thought, not a challenge. Many great industries and, indeed, a high portion of the greatness of our country arose out of inventiveness driven by necessity. Seems to me we could serve multiple goals if we would just stop considering special interests so heavily.

Couldn't disagree with you more on a national sales tax, either. To make it actually fair, you'd have to exempt "necessities" because taxing me and my $175K salary for milk doesn't have the same impact as taxing the $30K annual salary person. We're paying the same tax for the same necessity - it's regressive and it will widen the gap while complicating the tax code in a different way. I say simplify the tax code by eliminating all the loopholes - those who earn more should pay proportionally more taxes, etc. If you stop giving predominantly high income credits and write-offs, you simplify the tax code and keep the revenue flowing. I'm over-simplifying my views here, but hopefully that communicates them. Again, an opinion offered, not a challenge. :-)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Rena(if I may?) Nice of you to "stop by". Your reasonable explanation is a good one. I was intrigued to find a woman listing it.

You can say that there was alot to discuss after The State of The Union Address. But, to me it was a bit of a yawn fest. Same old deals, new way's to put it. As I see it, such advents are Dog and Pony Shows. After, the other side of the Republicrat coin hisses about what the other said. I do prefer the Republicans in that sense, because they are not trying to shove Cultural Marxism down our throat. Oh enough of that.

Would you give me a break? The post said "Random Notes", not explanations(Insert rolling eyes Gif here)I do agree that we need to find alternative energy sources. How long would it take though? How long before we have a substitute for oil? I am convinced that at the current time World Oil Production is peaking. My apologies, I haven't gotten the hang of links yet...ok, I haven't even messed with it since I said that. You can see for yourself at the excellant web site, Defense and National Interest. www.d-n-i.net It's posted under "Global and Strategic Issues". a 2MB PPT titled "Six major factors..." and more so, the one below that, "Peaking Oil Production..." Again, I'm sory for the sloppiness.
One last thing on this, it has to be done, in my Military Opinion, for us to effectivley deal with our Enemy's in the Islamic World. That's another story though.

For the National Sales Tax: The not so Great State of NC, taxes everything...Medicine, Food, you name it.(We pay the highest Taxes in the South East and they wonder why Industries go to our Neighbors) Someone making $175K pays the same per Gallon Tax on Gasoline as does some one making $30K...That's not just State Tax, that's Federal too. What's the differnce?
I don't see it widening the gap on principle alone. It WOULD eliminate the loopholes. Everyone buying new goods would pay. There would be no falsifying income. Illegal Aliens that send their money back to where thay came, would have no choice but to pay. Drug Dealers that for obvious reason's don't report their full income would pay. The American People would not have to go hire someone or buy software in order to have their taxes done. For the most part it's the Democratic Party waging class warfare on the American People with our current tax system( Republicans do it too). It started over 60 years ago in the name of National Defence and has turned into a pork fest and vote buying schemes. In my opinion, to tax higher income people is unfair punishment...Class Warfare.

Rena, your a lady. I was releived to see that your not a "Bush Hater". Your too mature for that. What I've said is not challenges, but, elaborations on my positions.

8:13 PM  
Blogger RenaRF said...

I started to post my comments here in your section, but realized, selfishly, that I was using really good stuff and posted them in my own blog. :-) Take a trip over there if you're interested. ;-)

5:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Taylor, Go to the web site www.fairtax.org Read about it. Like I told Rena, it's Friday and I'm not going to go through argueing my point.
Nice of you to show up. Downeaster...LOL

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home