Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Good To Be Back

I got home last night just in time for snow. It's been a pretty slush.

There are quite a few things for me to say. I won't say it all. I checked in a Government Computer and it was usualy on my way back to the Cabin we rented. So, I didn't make posts. I wasn't able to keep up with anyone much either.

My Call
As from the previous post you know of my close call with Activaton/Mobilazation. Comparing notes with some of the others that got the call we were all single with no dependants. One of my good buddies is more qaulified than me, probably the most qaulified in the whole Battallion. They were't looking for qaulifications, they were looking for less red tape. Single Soldiers are cheaper, and considered to deploy quick with less hastle, I.E. pack your bags and go.
I was asked if I wanted to go. How do I answer that? I made a breif attempt to Rena. Over the week I had a few conversations on the subject. I think I can best put it into words now more than then. One of my buds put it well... There is a guy leaving the unit. He is transfering to a National Gaurd Unit now preparing for deployment. He's a darn fine fellar...A genuine good guy. I had confided in my said buddy that I'm afraid this boy is going to get a big awakening once he get's to Iraq. "Yep, this is the type of situation you don't want to run into with piss and vinegar." Put very well, by one good Soldier. A fellow former Ranger.
Now, another comment by another good buddy...a Vietnam veteran on the verge of retirement. We had seen on the news how one guy had "saw his death in Iraq". This guy left tapes secretly made the night before he left. The next day this one buddy said, "That guy last night that made the tapes...you don't want to go with that attitude. That's the wrong attitude. I've got a nack for surviving. I could tell when I was about to step on something".
A long time ago...when I was that 19 year old PFC my 1st Seargent, who had been a Ranger in Vietnam said..."When your going(to war) you know it could happen...it's in your mind. You don't want to dwell on it, you have to have the attitude that your going to survive".
Not wanting to go puts you on the defensive. You don't want a defensive attitude. It's kind of like going on a date with a defensive attitude. It's not going to get you anywhere, but, hurt. A Soldier's self value is in his job. Actually doing your job validates your cause. It gives you a purpose.
Purpose...I understand enough about the situtation to know, that, in my opinion, we as a nation face the greatest threat than we ever have. Argue what you want about Iraq, or Afghanistan for that matter, I'm not going to explain it at this time.
This war is a unique one, a tricky one...It takes a unique approach. You need both eyes wide open. So, to sum it up...you want a realistic, positive, non defensive attitude. I accept it as inevtible and something that has to be done.
I could have said it all in that one paragraph...I suppose that some back ground validates the answer. I do admire tersness. The Spartans considered it a virtue.
The For Lettered "I" word...
Watching the news today you see that 115 Iraqi's and counting were killed by a Suicide Bomber at an IDF Induction center. Most likley Hezbollah carried it out. I know, Zarqawi... "Isn't he Al Qauda?" He's both. My answer to that? Set up the induction centers out in the open desert with atleast 200 meters of open space surounding the main building from the front gate.
Man...what a charge! Nothing left but, the front of the car.
Yesterday morning I had a conversation with a Gaudsmen just getting back from Iraq. He said that the first week there everyone gets Diahria. I'm certain they are drinking bottled water. He said that his blood pressure shot up and that many have had little health quirks.
I just finished reading "Tactics of The Cresent Moon" by John Poole. If your a Soldier(or one of it's derivatives) I recommend that you read it. The boy compiled some useful information.
Cold Mountian .
I visited my mother after getting back in yesterday. We watched Cold Mountain together. I had not seen it. Well...I have some strong feelings about it. The story takes place mostly in Western NC. Haywood County to be exact. There is a Cold Mountian...actualy I know of two...it is a part of The Balsams...a sub range of the Appalachians you can say. It's in the Shining Rock Wilderness. No town called that that I know of...maybe once...The Cruso Comunity is close to it.
Well, I haven't read the book. I'm not going to say anything about it.
It was filmed in Transylvania Romania, not Transylvania NC. They didn't gain a thing by filming it over there. It was said that the woods of Appalachia were over logged...a qoute I remember from a story in USA Today(worthless publication) said that the woods were logged every 20 years in NC. It was said that they no longer resemble the period. I'll be the first to say so...20 years of timber is nothing! Poor excuse! Were they to lazy to look? I know where there is bigger timber than anything I seen in the movie.
Some of this county's first settlers were from Romania(I once had the hot's for one of their decendants) No doubt they settled here because it reminded them of home...the same said for my Scottish ancestors. But, the Mountains I seen in that movie were not Appalachia. They didn't gain a thing.

I liked Ruby. She was a fine woman. Strong and independant. I've known several people somewhat like her.

I've typed enpough...later.
Appalachian Intellectual

4 Comments:

Blogger RenaRF said...

Hey AI. Glad you're back safely. I found your thoughts on the mentality of a successful soldier quite interesting - I am an only child whose father was rejected when he tried to enlist during Vietnam (flat feet and high blood pressure), so I don't have any real direct experience in growing up in a military culture.

I wondered if you saw today where Evan Bayh (Democrat Senator, Indiana) sponsored a bill that would exclude active duty (deployed) military personnel from being subject to the proposed stricter bankruptcy laws - the theory being that, especially in the Guard and Reserve, it is much easier for a soldier who is employed outside of the military before being called up to hit financial difficulty. It failed to pass the Republican-dominated Senate and that really aggravated me. I have two former colleagues who have been deployed for almost a year in Iraq. They are especially hot property because they are technically savvy and it's a skillset they require in Iraq - the problem is, of course, they leave behind jobs that pay extremely well and the employers can only hold their positions for so long... In fact, one guy I worked with was called up right after 9/11 to be uniformed domestic security in Washington DC and then called up AGAIN when we went to war in Iraq. Thankfully, he hasn't had to file bankruptcy but he did lose his house when his deployment got extended - he and his wife simply couldn't pay the mortgage when his income was literally cut to 25% of what it had been. He's still deployed.

I don't know - that just seems wrong to me.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

AI...don't you'l have something better to call me? Ed is right it sounds like "Artificial Intellegence"...Ooops! I blew my cover. Don't you tell anyone Rena.

I wasn't aware of the Bill in the Senate that you mentioned. As for the employer hiring someone new, the Service Member is intitled to get their job back under USEARA(acronym may not be totaly accurate)But, employers find reasons...sometimes.

OK...time to get!

8:01 AM  
Blogger RenaRF said...

Technically speaking I think you meant to close that last comment with "Time to Git". :-)

Calling you AI is the natural extension of the other information you've provided. My username gives all the reference I need to be addressed properly. Travelin' Ed's does as well. Yours, however, just boils down to AI. Will you be annoyed if I tell you that when I hear AI I think "American Idol"? Don't know which is worse.

I could just call you "dude", but that's disrespectful given that's what I call all of my stepson's friends because I can't keep their names straight.

You gotta name or will you remain AI?

11:59 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I could think of a Snazzie name...

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home