Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Happy Easter

Happy Easter to you all. Have fun Easter Egg hunting.

That was earlier, this is later.
It is darker than a dungeon outside. A good rain falling, a real gully washer. There is some lightening(should I realy be on here?) and that makes my dog nervous. She doesn'y like Thunder and Lightening the least bit. She stay's under my feet(and she's a big dog) or in the night will sleep under my bed. I admitt I get agrevated with her when she can't get it together. Now, she can be a brave thing. She raises a real fuss at bears when they come around.

Crazy things on the road
I've seen some things happen on the road latley that are worth noting. One was a small economy car that was the second car ahead of me, slowed down very quickly and pulled to the side of the road real gentle like. As I passed by I saw that the Hood had flown up and back against the wind sheild blocking their veiw. You should have seen the look on the two boy's faces.
The other was Friday Morning. I crossed a rise on the road and there was a Burgandy Crown Vic pulled over to the side about 25 yards down the slope. After I passed I looked in the rear veiw mirror and saw the guy pull across the road doing a big U turn as a big truck loaded with brick came at him. A U turn is bad, but, a U trun on a reverse slope is real bad.

Guns of Arabia
Yesterday I went into an Antique store and saw an old Saturday Evening Post from 1962. On the Cover were two Beduins with British 303 Enfeilds that looked to be in very good condition. During the Arab Revolt of WWI the British provided rifles to Prince Feisal's forces. I had recently found a web page on T.E Lawrence(Lawrence Of Arabia) were the auther noted that he had seen many of the rifles from that time in the hands of Beduins in Jordan, where they were still prized and well cared for. I have no doubt these were two of those rifles. I am very impressed that these rifles may still be in the hands of 3rd Great Grandson's.
I am currently reading "The Seven Pillars Of Wisdom", by T.E.Lawrence, his story of the Arab Revolt. It is a book well worth reading. It's a big one, 660 pages. I plan to read it again once I'm through. It's a war story with comments on strategy and tactics as well as very informative of the complexities of the Arab Tribes. Reading it I have found where the Great Strategist Col. John Boyd(USAF Ret) found some of his termonology. Chapter 33 is basicaly all about strategy.

U.S/Mexican Border
I just watched a documentary from the History Channell on the U.S. Border Patrol. Often when we think of the Border we think of poor Latin Americans coming here to try to make a living, send some money home. I've worked with Mexicans in the past that I was suspicious of being illegal, but, I have mostly liked them as people. No offense to them, we need to clamp down on our border hard. Many coming across are gang's(I.E MS13), quite a few Arabs have been caught, and much of their money goes back to their country and does not get circulated into our economy(or taxed). Further, the Mexican Army has been known to "get lost" on the U.S. side.
I talked to a roofer the other day from S.C. He told me he only works here, in N.C. He said that in S.C. there were too many Mexicans who way under bid jobs and do them very fast, but, their work is shoddy. They value quanity over quality. Oh, BTW, his crew was the lowest bid for the job by $4000.00.

What I've Become
I think that I've come to see the world as a great big ball of problems waiting to be solved. I certainly don't claim all of the answers(other than implentning forsight and common sense). I'm not sure if I like this at times. I know, a woman would go a long way in my life, but, I still wouldn't give up.

God Bless All Of You...
Appalachian Intellectual

1 Comments:

Blogger Harold/AQ said...

You've got a good blog going on. Thank you for sharing.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home