Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Happy Hunting...Well, Sort Of

Meat On The Ground
Sometimes you get the Bear. Sometimes you don't get the Bear and, sometimes, the Bear gets you. Saturday, we got the Bear. Well, me and Twister neither one did. It was another Hunter working in conjunction with us. All of the action happened much to our rear. Neither of us knew about it until after we came out of the woods. A faulty Radio contributed to that. And, the fact that sound didn't carry well on that Mountain. The two of us wound up catching Dogs that were not in the "Race".
With me recovering from a Cold, Twister coming down with one and three Dogs(a Walker,a Black n Tan and a Cur) on our leads, we trudged off of the Mountain frustrated with our lack of Communication. We were sitting in the back of the Truck eating, a fourth Dog we had just caught howling when the Boy came up. "We've got meat on the ground". It was a 4-5 Year old Male weighing in around 230-250 lbs.
The Bear had apparently swatted one dog(a Plott) in the hind leg, but, she wasn't cut or anything. She's a smart Dog, she doesn't get too close.

Hill Billy Adrenaline Junkies
Despite everything, we had fun. Early on while we had the Dogs on our leads a pack of hounds ran the ridge above us. It sound as if they were in hot pursuit, a "Race". That broke up after a little, but, later it was back on. It's a intense feeling. You hear the Dogs barking and howling. They're excited, on the trail of a big, strong animal that can be very dangerous, and it's between you and them. Intense indeed.

Next Year
Next Hunting Season I should be in Iraq. So, obviously I'm trying to have a little more fun with this one. I most likely will be too busy to miss it next year. Yet, still, make the best out of it. It's one adventure or the other.
Information relevant to our mission is posted for us to read. I'm printing one off now. I wonder if my cartridge is going to handle it. I also have Bear Ribs to quarter. So, maybe I should finish this later.

And I don't need to be forgiven by them people in the neighborhood
Appalachian Intellectual

10 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Sounds like you had a great time, AI. That's what's important. I used to hunt and enjoyed being out in the woods with friends and family as much as getting a deer or squirrel or whatever was in season.

It makes good memories.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Thanks for taking us along on the hunt AI I can imagine that the ole adrenaline really kicks in when you hear those dogs a howlin'. My hunters heard woves kill another animal very near to where they were hunting again this year. The sounds that come out of that murder scene are very disturbing from what I am told but then we know just how sweet and misunderstood those lovely wolves are- can you say eaten alive??? Be blessed my friend.

Oh yeah, did you find Lyles song- you would enjoy it muchly.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

AGT, You should get back out there. Hunting is good for you. For all of the reasons you listed.

RQ,I would have loved to have heard that sound. Wolves are misunderstood. Be blessed yourself.

Internet Explorere doesn't show the blog right. Mozilla has a small space. Nothing like IE. I took the HTML Tag for the ad out of the template and it still doesn't show correctly. Gooogle turned me down. Why? Because the first time I used a PO Box. And they didn't get the change when I switched. So, I'm almost to the point of saying to hell with it. Any ideas on how to fix this? Anyone?

7:52 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You are just so hip Murf.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does one eat bear or how does A.I. eat bear?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Janie, I suppose you can eat Bear meat about anyway you like. Depending on how hte meat is processed. I smoked a little of the neck roast Sunday. More than likley I'l do the rest that way. It has a tendacy ro bew greasy. Some one say down right greasy. So, it's important to let it breath. It's good in a stew and using "Game Tame" marinade it's very good roasted. I had some tender loin the other day done that way and it was great. They grub for a living so you have to get the meat well done like pork.

Murf...you can't be anymore white than me.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A.I.
When you are all done with the steaks and roasts and stews of that bear....and just want meatloaf...

Butch's Bear MeatLoaf

2 lbs of ground meat
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. oregano
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1 cup of onion, minced
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 cup of bread crumbs
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup of mushrooms (if wanted)

Bake at 350 until done(about an hour)
When it looks close to being done, spread either BBQ sauce or ketchup over the top. (last 15 minutes)

www.bowhunting.net/susieq/bear.html

Butch says, Enjoy!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Zombie, you should. You just have to be patient. Once you get into it, figuring things out, stratigizing and the good company, On top of the accomplishmnet your hooked. It's a good thing to do with your year off from women. I find myself taking six months at a time off wether I like it or not. Then they come two or three at once. NC is trying to recruit more Hunters because of the decline of Licsense sales. But, they are taking away Hunting lands all the same. Too many Democrats in Raleigh. Not enough Libertarians.

Janie, sounds good. I do have a Wildlife Cook Book or two around. Bear may work great in that. You just looked that up didn't you?

I'm glad I got the HTML thing back in order. Thanks Murf!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, Zombie, maybe that is an exageration. Two months at a time. wich meens I'm due.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES, I did. ( ;

And it was interesting looking up.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home