Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Sunday Evening Post


The Balsam Range, Transylvania County NC.

I havn't been home this early from Drill in a long time. The one good thing about Christmas Drill is after the party on Sunday, we get released early. Then, the three and a half hour drive home. I don't mean to be all Bahumbug, But, it's no big deal to me. It's a family event, but, most don't bring their families. Once when I had one they sat in the car for over an hour while I sat in a Traning Meeting. My Company Commander found out and excused me early. Never again.(I was in a different unit then).
It's nice to be home early for a change. Usualy it's 8:30-9:00 here latley. So, my griping aside it's not all bad. There was no Santa Claus this year. I was being sarcastic in my mention of that in the last post.

It was pretty uneventful. Everyone asked me about the Jolly Red Head Giant, my buddy who retired. He's dropped off of the Earth. We planned a party for him which he protested and wouldn't return e-mails or calls. Not even about Hunting! Can you beleive that? He wouldn't even return a call about being in on a Bear Hunt. "I don't need no party...blah blah blah". So darn modest. It was cancelled. At Ft. Lewis this year he walked into the shower with a Beer in his hand. I'm thinking about getting one of these soap dishes that hangs over the shower head with a Beer can glued to it saying "for a whole bunch of service, have one on us".

I'm not realy in the mood to post, so, I'll stop right there.
I do have one thing to add...I don't like Sunday nights, that goes back to Childhood when we lived in SC. But, Sunday night was a fun night. The Station I pick up out of Athens GA would(yes, past tense) play the Atehns and Atalanta bands from 7-10. That is where I discovered such great bands as Drive By Truckers and Southern Bitch...and I like the sexy voice of Jucifer. But, now it's a short lived hour or so. It sucks like a cold pouring rain! There, it's out of my system.
Appalachian Intellectual...



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll find me on Sunday nights doing all that needs to be done so that Monday's chaos stays at regular madness. I can see how Sunday nights might not hold affection.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

That is a gorgeous picture. I don't like Sundays in particular. I usually have housework to do and all I think about is having to go back to work tomorrow. Once I am at work on Monday, it is not bad, I just don't like having to think about it all day on Sunday.
Have a great Sunday night this night, ok?
Smile, cya later ~

peace

9:44 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

My Papaw Ed gave me a transistor radio the size of a matchbox when we lived in Charlotte. It was AM only. It was cool because it was powered by magic, as far as I could tell. No plug and no battery. Just an alligator clip that, when clipped to anything metal, made it run. I would lay in bed at night, radi clipped to the windo screen latch, listening to stations from Ft. Wayne and Chicago and Des Moines. I couldn't begin to imagine how far away those places were. I had barely even heard of them.

Of course, in the 60's, the songs were all 2:30 long and a group with "bitch" in the name wouldn't get touched with a 10 ft. pole.

What does this have to do with your post? Probably nothing.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Janie, Lee Ann, funny enough I use Sunday's to clean up too. But, that's not the reason. "I feel your pain" though.
FinnCanuck! Thanks for stopping by! You know the deal. Yes, I did use an NCOER guide. Not that I just picked out bullet comments as much as it does for recognition thought process. Molding the bullet to fit in other words. I was told last month that I had to do his. I wasn't ever informed that I was his rater, but, I jumped in there and did it anyway. After writing it and turning it in I was informed that the Senior Rater was actually the Rater...oh well. I beleive I wrote the man a fair NCOER.
Ed, I don't know what that had to do with this post, but that was an interesting story. Do you still have the Radio? You didn't tare it apart to find the Magic did you?

7:57 AM  
Blogger sage said...

that Balsam Range needs to be dusted in white... Athens use to be the hot place for music--growing up a decade before you, down east, at night when the conditions were right, we could get stations from NY and Miami as well as Cinny station--it was always fun to "surf" on the radio. My best memories of doing this was while camping on the beach.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, just the other day they had snow on them. It's something how you can pick up from so far away with AM. Didn't Wolf Man Jack come out of Mexico he had no limit on his power generation?

7:29 PM  
Blogger Annalis said...

just stopping by to say...er... hi.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

er, Howdy Annalis...

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home