Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Frustrated Incorporated

Monday as you faithful readers know was the opening of Gun Season on Deer. I had to work, yet, I could get off in time to do a quick change, hop up into the Forest and get a quick Hunt in. The rain was coming down all day long. Hunting is good in the rain, but, not if it's too hard. The Deer just lay down. It broke just before quitting time. However the clouds sank lower and they became dark. It didn't look like I would have any "shooting light". So, I decided I would just throw some Slugs in the Shot Gun(Remington Model 29, 12 Gauge, yes, it is old) and throw on my Parka(I hunt in a Night Desert Parka) and Orange(Hunters have to wear it, hikers and bikers get the pass).
Yet, once I got to the Parking space it got heavier. I knew it would happen. I know when the clouds sink low and it grows dark they're getting ready to empty out. But, I wanted to just walk in long enough to catch a Deer out. It was too heavy. It just wasn't worth getting the Gun wet. I went and got my truck inspected instead.
Today I had the plans again. This time the rain was gone, but, a little blustery. The Sun shined and it clouded up a couple of times through the day. Snow was all across the Balsams(A Mountain Range), it was pretty. I had forgotten something though. We had a Safety Meeting, and, the Office Crowd stays until 5, so it was going to last until 5. Too late for me to do my quick change and hop into my spot. It's a conspiracy I tell you.
Maybe tomorrow. I am getting ready to have 2 1/2 day's of Hunting.

A Clean Horse Slayer
I've briefly mentioned a friend I call Horse Slayer. He killed a Horse. He darn near killed himself as well. The boy got himself into trouble with the law some months back. Now he's on tour of the NC Prison System. Some time back he started acting weird, real weird. I put some distance between the two of us. Turns out he got himself on Meth. He sent word to me through his Sister that he's been clean six months now. He has become involved with a Prison Ministry as well. This from a guy who would avoid any acknowledgement of God. I don't know if he figured we came from Darwin's Fish or what. Well, the thing is he never questioned. He never reflected...didn't think of the future. Never wanted to make sense of anything. He couldn't have a good time unless he had a drink and couldn't hear the Music unless it was loud. Now he has admitted his own imortality. God Bless him.

I'd go on, but, I've got to get gone.
A Rebel Without a Cause or a Heathen Without a Reason?
Appalachian Intellectual

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A.I.
I hope you get your 2 1/2 days in those woods....with no more hurry up and wait.

Good for your friend that he made his choice to live.

Happy Thanksgiving to You and yours and your readers...(have to get gone too!)

2:43 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Janie, you have a Happy Thanksgiving too. Enjoy that Turkey.

agh, Murf, why do you have to kick the boy. For granted his problem was self imposed. But, considering the events that led up to his arrest and what came in the short period after, I think it's on his own.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I had a friend from Riegelwood (Columbus County)who was in prison for kidnapping. He got arrested a few days after he got home from Fort Levenworth, KS.

I tell you that to tell you these two things:
1) I would encourage him, but watch him until he proves his change is permanent, because
2) My friend was the sweetest, most misunderstood, God fearing young man you'd ever want to get a prison letter from. Unfortunately, he kept a bunch of bad habits in his back pocket for when he was not incarcerated.

And no, not arrgh kicking the guy, just speaking from experience.

Hey, good luck blasting them critters. Sorry to here work is not fully cooperating with the endeavor. Dudes at work seldom can prioritize correctly.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Oh, in case I wasn't clear... and I wasn't... he was in the brig for beating up another soldier in Germany, so his tour of duty at Levenorth was as an unpaid E-1 and he left with a bad conduct discharge.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I hear you Ed. He , God Bless him, has some codependant tendacy's. The truth is it was part of his addiction. However, you wouldn't find a better guy.
That would put someone in Levenworth. Horse Slayers sin? Counterfitting.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home