Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

The 8th of May

Addiction
No, I'm not here to admitt my own addiction. Now, I have an addictive personality, at least so I beleive. If I indeed do have one I manage it quite well. But, to me addiction is as scary as the Haint in the holler. So, I stear clear.

Yesterday addiction's kept coming up in conversation. People's Drinking Addictions and Drug Addictions mostly. It covered various people we know or know of. Before the day was over I was staring it in the face. The face of someone who was once a freind, but, is now a hollow Meth Head.

To make a long story short I saw his Ex Wife who wanted him to have an Alchaholics Anonymous Book. Out of a small group of people I said that I would take it to him. I hadn't seen him in months and not only did I want to see his alledged sorry state for myself, I was less emotionaly tied and a man...able to defend myself from who ever was there. So, I went down there.

I heard he had a new car...the last one had a collission with a horse...but, there was nothing but an empty drive way. I didn't know if he was home...but, someone could have the car. I knocked on the door and there was no sound. I listened close and heard a murmur of some kind. So, I tested the knob and the door came open. The house had a Apple Cinnamon smell to it. And there was a light on in the kitchen. He was sitting up right in a chair with his head turned away from me and a quilt in his lap. On the couch was someone face first with their face into the back of the couch. I called his name...nothing. I called again....no response. I walked into the room and called to him...nothing. I went up to him and reached out to touch his arm. I fully expected him to be cold. As soon as I touched him his eyes lit open big and round. "Oh Hey."
"I called to you several times and you were asleep."
"Yeah guess I was tired"
"Long time no see"
"Yeah it's been a few day's"
"A few day's, it's more like a few months"
"I guess it has been"
I Told him I was there as a favor to his ex and no sooner than I got the words out of my mouth he told me he didn't have her money yet, but, as soon as he did...
"That's not why I'm here.She wanted you to have this"
He looked at the blank cover and sat it on a table next to him. He had a yellow tinge and was real guant. Sweat broke out on his forehead as I was talking wth him. In the mean time the boy asleep on the couch rose up and walked around looking at stuff nervous like on the walls. I stayed 10 minutes or so.
His last words as I was going out the door was for me to tell his ex he would have her money.
No one can help him. I fear the next time I see him he will be in a casket.

Happy Mothers Day
If your a mother or any variation of, Happy Mothers Day! Your essential to the survival of the human race.

Jello News
Jello Boy is doing well. In our addiction(oh, saying the word is deppressing) conversation he told me a story from his Graduation Frolic at Myrtle Beach SC some moons back. There was someone he didn't know, a kid from Ohio that had been pouring Tequila through a funnel down his throat. Well, he passed out of course. An EMT Student told Jello that the boy had alchahol poisening and that if he didn't get him to vomitting real quick he was going to die. So, Jello Boy threw him in the shower, turned the water on and stuck his finger down the guy's throat. He threw up and became another hung over High School Graduate. Some Months later Jello went to a teen party in Spartanburg SC and the Ohio boy was there. He remembered him and has ran into him in out of the blue places since and the boy alway's remembers him. Jello Boy is not all love sick goofiness.

Ohio
You know, for being north of The Mason Dixon Line, I like the people from Ohio. A few I've had scrapes with, but, that's personality stuff and not some cultural rudeness.

Shoe Blogging 11Bravo Style
You see those Jungle Boots at the top right of the page? Yeah, the ones with a great pistol sitting on them. Those have been a fine pair of boots. I've wore them for duty and hunted and just plain tromped the mountains in them. But, the inner leather sole has gotten a little dried out. The Right boot in the toe area is curled upward and cramped my toes yestreday. There I was stomping up a Forest Service Road and my toes were either smashed or numb. I found myself hobling on the gravel. They still have plenty of sole and the lether is not too bad. (I had a pair that was part melted on the botton from warming them by fires) I think I'll get them soaking wet and fill the toes with something to try to flatten them out. Of course I have three more pairs of Jungle Boots. A black pair, a good ol' pair and a Korean Imitation pair. I like the regular old green sided boots. Hey! The Drive By Truckers are on the Radio! Southern Bitch is next! OK, back to my boots, there will be time for Good Southern Rock later. Some years back The Army in one of it's sorry moves announced there would be no more Green Jungle Boots. It was a tragedy to me. Then, a warehouse of OD Jungle Boots was found and they said, OK...Green can stay. Or, so the story goes. I can buy a new pair, but, I might as well buy a pair of deserts.

Well. I've been in front of this thing long enough.
Meth Kills
Appalachian Intellectual

7 Comments:

Blogger Vance Jefferson said...

What radio station you listening to where they play DBT?

Hey, I was at Books A Million and saw this book. That's my addiction. Thought you'd like it. It's on my list now.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385320132/qid=1115664841/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-3348875-6994206?v=glance&s=books

2:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey Jinxy! Good of you to stop by. I was listening to WPUP Athens Ga. It was on a taped show called "Local Noise". That's where they play Athens area bands. 've heard it a few times, so, I know the line up. It's linked here on my blog as "The Rock Station". If you push hard enough WNCW will play them. But, they like the more "Country Like " songs. Both are linked here. I'll look at the book...sounds like a sex thing.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ah Ha! The New River. THat's one I need to see. Of course there are a couple of "New Rivers", but, I'm sure it's the one that's the second oldest. I've seen the Nile and I'm here on the third, the French Broad. Sorry about the sex thing. I saw obidos in the addy and was thinking lobido. oh, I'm so embarrassed. Hey, Check out "The Appalachian Forest" by Chris Bogliano. I intend to do a psot on some local authors here before long. Sorry to talk your ears off, but, this is my blog.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

That addiction part is somber. I know just what you mean, too. While I'll not go into any details other than to point out the drug in my story is crack vice meth, I dealt with the same thing very up close and personal.

It ended with me saying, "I'm still friends with_______. The problem is that right now you ain't her anymore. Call me if she ever comes back."

Then I hopped on I-20, headed east and felt a thick pain in my heart all the way back to Portsmouth, Virginia.

What can you do when you want to help but can't find anybody home that you can reason with? The only thing that got me through was that I knew I had tried mightily to help. Ultimately, I wasn't successful, but I could sleep knowing that I had put my hand out there.

Travelin' Ed

7:44 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, we both know the feeling then. A while back I got to thinking about it and I got so mad at him I swear I could have laid one in his chest. A fist that is. It kind of reminds you of that Drive by Truckers song, "Do It To Yourself" about a suicide. But, then, that person's not there. What are you to do.
Rena commented a post or two down, let me go fuss with her.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Geez, guess I've been lucky all these years. No real addiction problems with anyone I knew or was close to. Alcohol abusers? Yeah, a few of them and I was one for years.

But Meth? Crack? Oxycontin (aka Hillbilly Heroin in KY). How in the world do you deal with someone that's got that kind of hook in 'em? But addictions are addictions, I suppose. The addict is going to have to make the choice to get the monkey off. You can be there, you can encourage them, but they gotta take that initial step. Sad, how do people do that to themselves?

11:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Beware when Meth makes it's way there, if it hasn't already. Meth Labs are dangerous, stink to high heaven and poisin the house and any little kids that live in it.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home