Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Missing post.

This morning I skimmed across the Blog and found a post was missing, "Fire". For what ever reason, possibly my own fault it was saved as a draft. So, it's there. And it is a subject I feel passionate about so, it would touch me deeply if you would scroll on down a few and take a look.

Sweat
Saturday night I went to a "sweat". Simply it's a home made sauna. Build a dome frame drape canvas and tarps over it and you have your "lodge". Rocks are heated in a fire then placed in the center of the lodge. Put water on the rocks and bare it. Indian Style.
The guy's a did this with are from Montana near a Reservation. Now, their the kind of "outsiders" mountain people like. They don't bad mouth people, put them down, make up a bunch of rules to place on everyone or carry on about how great it was where their from while for some reason living here in these mountains. Their different, but, not bad.
One of them has a brother who went back out to Montana for a visit. He brought back some rocks from a Tee Pee Circle. Once he got back he had bad luck he said. "Did you bring the whole circle?", one asked.
"No"
"You've gotta bring the whole circle...you can't break the circle!"
So, the boy takes them back
"Did you put them back in the circle?"
"Well kinda...their out there on the prarie"
"Well, did your luck change?"
"Kinda"
The Moral? Kinda setting things right only kinda gets results.

I went in the lodge four times for any where from 15 minutes to 40 minutes a peice. I build up to it slow...that first wave of steam knocks me hard. Sweating in such a way takes impurities out of your body. A bitter wind blew some cold air, but, with your tempature up it feels comfortable in the air. When you lay down to sleep you sleep soundly. Sometimes it's fun being eccentric.

Appalachian Intellectual

2 Comments:

Blogger Vance Jefferson said...

Beer purges the impurities from my body.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yeah, good ol' liquid bread. Good to see your back...hope Vacation was well.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home