Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Four Ninteen, close to the original

As you may see from my previous post, "Four Ninteen", The post being written was lost. Unfortunatly, it could not be recovered. The net was moving like pond water and I was bumped off line. Unbeknownst to me not the entire posting page was fed in. So, half way through writing when I went to make a link and reconnected, it fed the page in and every thing written after being disconnected was lost. Just happened to be the entire post other than the title.

I've been a bit slow on posting here and was going to take the next couple of nights to put something up. I'll just start writing all over again.

Four Nineteen
Yesterday was the 19th of April, the anniversary of the Battle Of Lexington. The birth of our revelution. Unfortunatly it was also the day the Branch Davidians were gassed and burned alive in Waco Texas. Their crime was being different. May they rest in peace.
Four Nineteen is more than just a date, it's a state of mind...Every man created equal...live and let liveand...don't you dare tread on me! So, to true American Patriot's, FOUR NINETEEN!

The Land of Dust and Pollin
It got cold all over the South this last weekend. Saturday morning at my weekend Drill was cold with a stiff wind from the east. It didn't get comfortable until about noon. I have to admitt it cought us folks of gaurd. It had been so nice for the last two weeks we thought that the cold was about gone. Not seeing the weather, I unpacked the Polypropalene Underwear from my Ruck Sack. Now, that was a mistake. No biggy, you just put up with the uncomfortness for a while. What was adgitating was the dust and pollin being blown around. It had about everyone stopped up and there was much snoring in our cabin Saturday night. Sunday was calm, but, cold still. At least until about 0900 hrs(9 AM). More on that .

The Hardest Substance Known to Man
The hardest substance known to man is not a diamond. It's the brain matter of an Army Adminisrtator. I'm not nesascarily talking about all Admenisrtators, IE Unit Administrators(more on them in a later post). Beuracrats if you will. They get locked into patterns and can't get out. They just can't bust out of the box...protocal and mediaocracy morph into one. Protomediaocracy?
I think I've got a new saying:"Standards are for results, not actions". So it be said, so it be written, so anyone can qoute me free of charge.
Sometimes to get an idea into ones head you have to jack hammer a hole, pour the information in and seal it back up with concrete before it leaks out. To the Adminisrtator everything is on paper, true results don't matter.
It's a Biproduct of a way of doing buisness.

Don't Laugh
We(my Unit) had our Semi Annual PT Test Sunday morning. Remeber me saying that it was cold...heck there was frost on my buddies windsheild...it seems like we stood around for an hour waiting for the sun to come up. Well, there was a heavy dew on the ground so matts were brought out for the Push Ups and Sit Ups. I'm not sure why, but, the detail putting out the matts kept flipping the things over. So, now both sides are wet with the dew. and, standing around going through the preliminaries, that were in my opinion unesascarily long, the dew continued to fall on the matts. I only saw one person use them.
A few Drills back when we were conducting PT some Navy Reservist came and did a PT Test. I heard alot of snickering and jokes about the Navy's Satandards.* I don't see what was so funny. They may not have had to run as far as us, but, they got right to it and had it over with. Us? We hee haw around in the dark for an hour.Overall I had a good Drill. I was in good company and was able to put some things in perspective.

*One boy was definatly in good shape. Not only was he cut, he ran well. He would have beaten some of the jokers


OODA Loop
If you have followed my Blog some, you have seen me refrence COL John Boyd, USAF(Ret). May he rest in peace. This article is based on his work. A good read for Infantry or anyone who can apply it to their needs. If you need Adobe get it here.

AND
If you have just gotten around to reading me...lucky you...if you will, read my first post. Not only is it sentamental, it's about this Blog.

Be vigalaint
Appalachian Intellectual

2 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

IRT "Don't Laugh": Except for a few of the younger gym rats, us squids HATE the PRT. Nautical logic being that if I'm out in the ocean on a 325 foot ship, when the hell would I need to run a mile and a half? The only reason I can think of is if we caught fire (a sailor's worst case scenario, so we all attend fire fighting school)and forgot all of our training, running around in circles with our hands flailing at the air could perhaps consume a mile and a half. Or more. Oh yeah, and I'd be...I mean THAT DUDE, would be sobbing and wailing, too.

Travelin' Ed

2:00 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I would not want to be on a boat with a fire. At that time your brain needs to do the running. Sometimes I think about my ancestors that came over on those old wooden ships...imagine if one of those things caught fire.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home