Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Mush I tell you

Everything I've touched this weekend has turned to mush. Well, not entirely. Everything has kinda come out alright. No biggie.
Friday night I had a date. I have those sometimes. More latley than before. Women sort of come and go. That's not the point. At the end of the evening, for reason's I won't reveal, I was left with the impression that I hurt her feelings and/or made her mad. Making someone mad doesn't bother me, hurting someones feelings does. I just don't like hurting peoples feelings, especialy women. Even if I feel the least bit of harmony with any woman, I adore them none the less. She's not exactly my type, but, I find myself enjoying her company some. So, I'm not going out of my way to run her off. I called her this morning and she said she didn't expect me to call...She relaxed, as long as everything is at a safe distance it's cool.

Joe Byers
Speaking of dates, a couple of weeks back I went out with a girl down in Georgia. I saw Curahee* Mountain famed from the Book/Movie "Band of Brothers". I've been close, but, never actualy by it. She told me that Easy Company 506th Member Joe Byers would go visit the schools there every year. He came once, talked with the kids at school and then died in his Motel Room that night. He was a good man, may he rest in peace. It's something of an irony...not dieing in the war, but, dieing in a place that had such enormous impact on his life other than his home after all of these years. As if he had fullfilled his last mission. Again may he rest in peace.

Retirment Dinner
Regarding the last post, my good freinds Retirment Dinner, well that was a mush too. The invitations had been sent out over a month back. So details were not fresh in my mind. It was supposed to start at 1700(5:00PM) I was thinking 1900(7:00PM) I show up at 1830(6:30PM) thinking that I was early...every one had eaten and was wondering what had happend to me. Well, we made it a joke. I was hurt more than anyone else because I was looking forward to seeing everyone. I was a little dissapointed that a couple of people were not there, but suprized that some had made it from far off. So, as alway's made the best of the bad. I'm proud that I went.

Activation
Oh yeah all of you hip people that's had the fortune of following my Blog for the last few months, you've seen me mention this before. Being a Drilling Reservist I am subject to call up. There was my near "Cross Leveling" with a deploying Unit back in Febuary and my Divisions pending activation for Iraq. This is not nescarily new.

Now there as been very little information come down from the Chain of Command/Support Chanel about this. The first mention of it came at our January Drill. Then right before I was about to be sent out with another Unit in Febuary a letter had come down asking for Volunteers but, not relasing any information. Other wise, there has just been rumors.

I mentioned it to one of the Retired guy's at the Dinner and he starts rattling off all of this information...some I had heard some not. He acted as if his information was solid. I asked where he was getting this, he has been retired for two years! It turns out he see's someone high up in the Division on a regular basis. Retired and he knows more than a guy that's going to be directly effected by this. Now, the Division is tight lipped on this information and I'm not sure why. Perhaps they are waiting until things are a little more solid. Even if I'm frustrated I'll stay tight lipped in support of my Chain Of Command as far as the Blog is concerned.

Before I had rather we were going to Afghanistan. They are Mountain People and I can somewhat understand them a little better than Iraqi's. But, I've grown use to the idea of Iraq. I've got a job to do and I'm going to try my best.

So, my Activation can be anywhere from next week to next year. The future is uncertian and the present is not clear. ( was that a Door's lyric?)

Two of the retired guy's wer pressing for me to put my packet in for the next promotion board. I laughed and told them either way around I'm going to Iraq.

* Curahee Mountian is a Cherokee word. I don't know the true meening. Most now used Cherokee words are coruptions, being not truly pronounced, altered in some way. The Cherokee had settlements in Up Sate South Carolina and North Georgia refered to as the Lower Towns. The Middle Towns in West NC and Over Hills in Tennesee(a coruption of Tanasee). They all had their distinct Dialect of the language. The Lower Dialect had a rolling R where as the Middle and a Over Hill Dialects used and L in the place of R. The Lower Towns were first encounterd so R stuck in the name. The Lower Dialect is not spoken any more. Tsaligi is the common name or Tsarigi in Lower Dialect. C was placed for the TS sound. Ani Yinuwha is the formal name..it meens the Principle People.

Appalachian Intellectual

4 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I really enjoy the history and anecdotes about NC. I left there in Jr. High, and besides family visits and fishing trips, have never really made it back.

I also enjoy reading about the little traditions,the camaradarie, and of course the frustrations of dealing with the military. It makes me smile because, as they say, yours and mine are different...and the same.

Keep it up. The blogs have been a lot of fun here lately. Your #3 Fan.

Travelin' Ed

8:21 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Ed. I enjoy the same. Sorry you were tore away in Junior High. I had to spend my child hood with the Mountains just in sight. I alway's looked forward to the weekend trips "back home".

Keep up the good work.

6:44 AM  
Blogger RenaRF said...

I see you have been MUCH better about updating your independent blog than I!! Truth be told, I've been so busy blogging over at dKos that I just don'thave enough hours in the day. At any rate, I updated my blog with a few of the choicier posts I did recetly at Daily Kos. Cheers!!

PS I see you figured out the picture posting. :-)

2:40 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Darn good to see you Rena. I have seen your stuff at KOS. It wouldn't let me comment though. Yeah, I can pic post and link too. What it was was a glitch that kept me from putting a pic up come to find out. Ed gave me some good tips too. He's a posting mad man. Any how, glad your alright.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home