Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, December 18, 2005


Off in the Nantahala Game Lands, Macon County NC

A note about the word Nantahala, it's Cherokee, slightly coruppted and means "Noon Day Sun". It's named after a settlement where the sun only hit it at mid day in the Winter time. It's said that it means "Land Of The Noon Day Sun", the Cherokee were not as romantic with their language. They were very practical in their names for places. It was and still is a practical language.

It's been a busy week for me and I'm glad that it's over. The Ice Storm didn't effect me too much, but, put a damper on things none the less. There was ice, but, it didn't freeze the roads too bad here. There's a few areas with out power. In Henderson County they were hit hard. I'm told it's like a War Zone over there. I was supposed to have a compant Christmas Party there, but since tthe place had no Electricity it was cancled. A family party was cancled today becuase there was no power to my Aunt who was hosting it's house. Thursday night I slept close to my Fire Place. There was a wind and I feared that it would brake more tree's and lines and knock out my power. The wind just knocked the ice off of everything. Once you got down in the Valley's there was still ice and there still is at over 4000 feet...At least Saturday there was. I didn't have my Camera, I could have taken some fine pictures.

I put a new Radiator in my truck in the freezing rain and dark. It's not a hard thing to do, but, agrevating doing it by a head lamp.

The President is going to talk tonight at 9. I didn't expect that. Maybe I'm just misinformed or unaware...heck, it's been a week and what you read here is only a tip of it. I wonder what it's about. Undoubtably it has to do with the "Four Letter I Word"...Iraq. I suppose by the time anyone reads this I'll find out.

Every time I hear about something opening back up in New Orleans it is a Tourism thing. That town is a whore...No one has respect for a tourist town.... The reason they didn't ship those folks out of there is because it would be bad for buisness if they some how dodged the bullet. Read the book "Rising Tide" and you will understand.

I've hardly read a Blog, so, if I'm absent...please excuse me. It's certainly nothing personal.

I have words of substance to come...bare with me.
Appalachian Intellectual

9 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

How's Bosco? Haven't heard much 'bout him lately.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Why do you ask that Murf?

Bosco is a girl. I didn't name her, don't no who did. She's fine. Drug some Deer carcass stuff into the yard. Ones a decaying head, I think I'll have a fire in the yard and get rid of it. She can have the bones, but the decaying head has to go.
8 Leters!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

One winter we had a big snowman with a deer head- didnt need carrots that way. The best part was how it totally grossed out the guys on Jns bus. That was a priceless I guess.

Hey Ed, I always get 5 letters at AI's site- he loves me!!!!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Words of substance? I cannot wait. Just break down the really big words for me, will you? I don't want to be "one child left behind".

Oh my gosh, FIVE letters. I don't want to press PUBLISH, I just want to savor this a moment instead.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'll try to spell them right Ed.

I suppose that I am a patient man then. One of the worse things you can do is pray for patience.

Now, this Deer Head on a snow man...I'd like to see that. A felllar I knew that read meters for the Power Company was off in a place called Three Forks. He saw Deer Heads on fence post and Pumpkin heads too. He's the nervous kind. He was terrified that he would have to squeal like a pig. Shortly there after he quit that job. Boy, I'd love to see that RQ! Do you have pictures?

6 letters...never ask someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself. You'l got five letters.

6:12 PM  
Blogger sage said...

The Nantahala region is wonderful--i was paddling the river back in the mid-70s. Remember sleeping in a box car during one particularly rainy trip--the car had been on a side track for sometime, but that knowledge didn't keep me from dreaming about waking up in Atlanta. Then, in the 80s, I hiked it, that's a long drop into the gorge and the climb out is a killer, but the views are wonderful. It's good land. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be heading down to the Old North State-but to the coast (most members of my family are waterlogged)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, I reckon that would be the tracks that head from down at the mouth of the Gorge up to Nanatahala Lake. THat's a fun river to raft. They have an old steam engine running on it now. So, does that make you a Hobo?

9:58 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

AI I am off to spend Christmas with my Mom. I just wanted to wish you a very Blessed Christmas.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Merry Christmas, RQ. I wish the very same for you and yours.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home