Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I Want To Go Bear Hunting


Looking across the Davidson River Valley, Balsam Range, Transylvania County NC.Posted by Picasa

I have alot on my agenda the next few day's. Still, I want to go Bear Hunting. Wish me luck.

I'm back from three day's at my Division Headquarters going through a pre processing for my pending deployment to Iraq. It went well. So far I'm impressed with Divisions plan to make this go as smoothely as possible. I'm the Non Commissioned Officer In Charge(NCOIC) of my "Increment". That is the people being activated,procesed and shipped to the Pre Mobilization Site. I make sure everyone is accounted for, taken care of, facilitate for as well as the Liason for any issues. I don't mind it a bit, it makes it that much more interesting.

We received Shots and so on, Legal stuff and so on. Financial stuff and so on...do you get it? Alright.

I don't like Charlotte. It was a fine country when the Catawba's had it. Gleanng from early Explorers all of that country down in there was mostly Prarie. Now, it's a big over blown Suburbia. Loud, crowded and becoming void of it's values. If there is any Big Southern City that I like it would be Birmingham, it's twilight atmosphere. I don't mean that in an attractive way, Birmingham is just living in a twilight. People won't let her forget her past, but, she stares down the shame. There is still some of the good South there. Not Charlotte. I don't think it exsists in Atlanta now.

I'll have more to say, but, since I sat here and wrote a post that was lost(Recover didn't work) I'll stop here.


I realy dig Elizabeth Vargas' new "doo".
Appalachian Intellectual

9 Comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

AI, Welcome back and good luck. You have been missed once again.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

You know I am from Birmingham. It is right what you say "People won't let her forget her past".
I have talked about this with friends numerous times. That is one thing that bothers me about this city.....move on I say!
Your picture of the mountains are beautiful....looks a bit like here.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I never cared for Atlanta, but when I was a kid, Charlotte still had charm.

Then all the banking moved in there for some reason, trailing carpetbaggers like a comet's tail, and she really started to change. The new buildings are all breathtaking, but the charm is gone.

The worst thing about it, I think, is how the city keeps expanding and swallowing up all the small towns. First it eats up all the open space between it and them, then it annexes the town, changes its name to Charlotte and keeps on trucking.

The only thing that stopped them from moving even further south was the SC state line.

I'd rather remember the place of my youth than to visit the place of the present.

A very reasonable 5 letters. Like my first wife always told me, "Ed, bitchin' WORKS!"

6:54 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks for the well wishes RQ. Been eating Pickle and P-nut Butter Sandwiches?

Lee Ann, Birmingham is not paticularly an attractive town, people talk bad about her, but, I feel more comfortable there than most. Now I've got the Drive By Truckers "Birmingham" stuck in my head. Your right, it should move on.

Now as far as B'ham and Charlotte, both are Imperialistic. B'ham annexed the median of Hwy 280 to annex an area south of Cahaba River(Jefferson County). But, it still looks like a town, Charlotte is the big Banking Hub. I have several freinds in Reserves that work there. They've annexxed almost all of the County. It doesn't resemble the South, I don't car what John Boy and Billy say,I don't care for them. CHarlotte is just a mess with Sky Scrapers.
I have to get to work. It's real Icy outside.

8:26 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

Sounds like your deployment is a bit better organized than mine was. I got a call on Weds to report on Friday. (of course this was the start of Iraq so things were a bit faster then)

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You take care.

I think ice storms are worse than snow storms...

5:55 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It took me almost half an hour to make my comment. The phone ringing and pople stragling in.

I was almost cross leveled into an MI Battalion back in Febuary, I was going to have a week and a half to report, getting my house winterized and setting things up. Three hours later it was called a false alarm. I can only imagine Wed to Fri. I know of it happening to a Captain though. exMI, I'm glad you stopp in man.

Janie, My mother lives right smack dab in the middle of town and doesn't have power, but, me up here on the Mountain, I have power...for now.
Dang! 8 letters!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

I hope you get your bear. I shot one up in Idaho when I was a teenager (Twern't hardly fair, a friend and I camped out around the city dump and waited for her to come in for dinner in the evening.)
If you get one, don't convince yourself that if you kill it you have to eat it. Bear meat takes a special kind of stomach.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey! I like Bear Meat. If you know how to fix it it's good.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home