Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Don't fall in the fire...


The 23rd made a year since this Blog began. So, Dance around the campfire, hang around a while. At the moment this post is being influenced by a very sluggish internet...the Recalcitranet. I won't give you a speech. I could. Instead I havn't kept up with much of any of my fellow Bloggers latley... Only Spotblogging...Yes, I claim that term...Reading Blogs every now and then...So, I would like to share some links to some intersting stuff that I have read latley.
APPALACHIA FIRST! Elvis Drinkmo had this to say. How 'bout that, you thought us Mountain Folk were backwards. Nope. Turns out were just isolated.
Going further south to the has better Laws than us, State of Georgia, Three Score and Ten More had something to say regarding Farm Life. Made me think of Napoleon Dynamite. Hey...he had nothing to prove, but, he got off his ass and worked instead of waiting for a hand out!

Forgotten Words
As I was growing up I lived in the Upstate of South Carolina. But, the real home was an hour away. I spoke differantly from most children. I used words like Gaum. The American Heritage Dictionary qoutes it as being regional, an alteration of gum. Meaning to smudge or smear. Websters goes slightly further giving more of the meaning of it, saying that it is Old English. It means to being thick gum like, messy, stuck in place, something that would relate to that. (I've heard it has a Melungeon influence, being a Turkish word. No, that's not a lost Indian Tribe. But, I doubt it. There are no Mulungeons here.) So, a fellar could say he's messing and a gauming...He's eating messely. Or, it's all gaumed up. It's a mess, malfunction or so on. It is not rude! It's used in common form. This is somethng for outsiders...out landers or so on, people without roots here find this unique. When you show them the word in the dictionary, it stuns them. Posted by Picasa

OK...you know the song qoute above is from a certain band...what song? Let's just see how much of a Heathen you are?

Happy "Birthday to me...and to you"(Blog of course)
Appalachian Intellectual

6 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Happy Anniversary!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Wait Come back! I wasn't through with the darn post..it was only half done...Oh I hate the Recalcitranet!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I believe that words can help us move or keep us paralysed, and that our choices of language and verbal tone have something - a great deal - to do with how we live our lives and whom we end up speaking with and hearing; and that we can deflect words by trivialization, of course, but also by ritualized respect, or we can let them enter our souls and mix with the juices of our minds."
~~Andrienne Cecile Rich~~

Happy Blog Birthday!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Why Thank You Janie, that's a fine qoute.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Annalis said...

Happy Blogger birthday/anniversay! Why don't you spotblog your happy arse over my way? Or are you going to blame the Recalcitranet.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, the first time I heard that song was live at a Camper Van Bethoven Show. Being performed by Ironic Mullet wich was Crcker doing Country Covers. I'm shocked that you wrote that...Great Song. The Record Companies probabaly don't like it.

Don't worry Annalis, I'll be by...Where does the brit talk come from?

The Day beckons...

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home