Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, January 12, 2006


This Male Bear weighed roughly 235 Pounds and was about 4 years old. Most bear and Deer taken by Hunters are around 3 Years old. This is the one that I referred to earlier. I've been meaning to post it for some time. The Bear Population in North Carolina is on the rise. So too is the Human Population. Scrapes with Bears are becoming more common. I beleive the greatest danger to Bears are Retired "Floridians" with High Powered Rifles and Bird Feeders. Given they're not living in one of their nice Gated Communities they use for "Country Living". None the less, I'm glad to see the Species on the rise.

Appalachian IntellectualPosted by Picasa

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My what big paws you have!
That's the bear I am talking about! *giggle*

9:08 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Na Janie, my feet ain't too big. You caught me editing the post...beter come back and read it.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok-I sure did...
That's the "meatloaf" bear! (I posted a recipe for you!)

9:52 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

I can't witness for North Carolina, but last time I was in Gatlinburg, Tenn. (just across the line) they were having trouble with the bears swimming in the pool at one of the time share lodges. They had signs all over asking people not to feed the bears, to use the latch top garbage cans, and giving directions on what to do when your meet a bear on the streets.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I personaly don't care for the whole Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Conglomerate. But, that's me. As for Bears there, they are smart, that's why they are repeat offendors. Bioligist often see the same Bear in a trap so that it can get the tasty treat, even after it's been transported far away! So, people go and feed them thinking that it's cute. The Bear just wants an easy meal.Off in the woods it can be slim pickings(there is growing reason's for that). Were they really swimming in a pool? LOL, skinny dipping Bears.
Murf, we can't do that, but, many of us would like to see them leave.

7:49 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I remember having thoughts of shooting Floridians 20 years ago when I was living in Western NC. Whenever I got behind one of them in their oversized car on a mountain highway, the temptation rises (today I think they call that road rage)

I wonder if Murf has someone in mind? The thought of a bear in a pool is pretty funny.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

No matter how bad Floridians are in NC (and anywhere else), they have got to be even stupider in their natural habitat. Feel free to come down here and do a pre-emptive strike.

By the way, most of those transplanted "Floridians" are actually originally transplanted in Florida from some where "back north". But still, I do think the pre-emptve strike to probably be the best option.

BYOW (Bring your own weapons) and I'll make my guest room available.

Lastly, before anyone accuses me of being "anti-yankee", nothing could be further from the truth. Quite a few, maybe even most, of my friends are yankees, and I am not taking liberties with the truth. It's the ones that come down here on a one way ticket that I take issue with.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I commneted last night and where the heck is it? hmm..not Blogger, me...OK...
Murf, I hunt them, they belong here,they're as much of these Mountains as the land itself and they are God's Creatures...so DUH?
Sage, you know the deal then. Only it's worse than just the Roads. Given many of them are good people, when it's the opposite, it's to the extreme.
(I better hurry the power is flicjering, STRONG winds today and a mere dusting of snow)
Ed, We can't do that. It would be based on shaky Intel and the Cost of building back Florida would be too great. Why does Florida send us their un hapy Yankees? Wht can't they just send us their beautiful Women?

8:11 AM  
Blogger Elvis Drinkmo said...

Murf,

With all due respect, you have to understand the mindset of a serious hunter to understand what the appalachian intellectual is saying. Now, I'm not much of hunter myself, but having been born and raised Appalachian- I completely understand where he is coming from.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Elvis, thanks for coming on over. Don't feel like you have to take up for me with Murf. I'm used to her...Thanks though. Murf, Yes, I Hunt Gods Creatures and I Hunt them in God's Mountains. And, I'm thankful to Him that I can do that.
Four Nineteen You'l.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home