Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Early Night for Me, Folks.

I don't sleep well at Drill. This time more so than others. We didn't have our usual Cabin, we stayed in a little 8'x8" room. The thermostat was in the hallway, but, the vents in the rooms. It was if sleeping in an oven. Then there was The Gaurd. National Gaudsmen coming in on Friday Night and getting up at 0430( it was a three day Drill for me, Friday, Saturday and Sunday). My Buddy turned the heat down in the Hall when we went to bed, sometime in the night someone stepped in thinking it was cold, and, it was in the Hallway, turning the Heat up to 75. It was 90 in the room! Must have been one of those South Carolina Low Country Boy's. No, no good sleep.
I had a Date last night and didn't get home until after Midnight(so, yes, Murf your partly true). Tonight, I will sleep well.
As for my pending deployment to Iraq, it's still pending. I won't go into detail. That would give you Virtigo.
I've agreed to be Jello Boy's Best Man in his Wedding. I have to wear a Tux:(

Some Qoutes
Big Game Hunting is over for the meantime. In Honor of the Season, I'm going to post some qoutes from it.
Twister shot a Coyote on Opening Day of Deer Gun Season and a Spike on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
My other Hunting Partner, Ray, shot a Spike on the day before Thanksgiving and a Six Pointer on Thanksgiving Morning. He shot a Bear on Opening Morning of Bear Season.
All that I seen was Does when it didn't count.
Me Twister and the Host's of Maconite Bear Hunters had numerous Strikes* on Bears and Hogs. Twister missed a Hog(don't rub it in too hard!) and there was the one Bear Kill in the First Season.
Anyway, here are some qoutes.
"I think I shot two Deer, I think I had a pass through", Ray. We never found evidence that he did. Though it seemed possible.
"A fool and his meat soon part", Twister on someone who turned around and started giving Deer meat away that was giving to them.
"She wonders why I'm so exhausted when I come in from the woods. This is hard work", Ray.
Don't give him no more meat", my own advice about someone who gave away Meat that was given to them.
"Jello Jerky", Twister's compliments over some Jerky that Jello Boy had made me. We snacked on it while stomping above Burning Town. It was good.
"People who don't Hunt think that it's easy. You see, getting that Deer meat ain't easy buisness", myself to the 14 year old Boy that went Hunting with me.
"That was fun!", the 14 year old boy that went Hunting with me.
"I didn't get to Hunt the last day of Season", The Jolly Red Head Giant.
"A Meat Moocher, some one who asks for the best parts, not owing you a favor or nothing and never get's out in the woods. When some one gives you some meat, it's a compliment. You give it to people you owe, your kin and close freinds or someone you just think is a good person.. Unless you have way more than enough you just don't give it way. Yeah, this is fun, but, it's not easy. They think if they stand there and grin your'e going to give them Tender Loin", My own complaining of said people.

*Dog's Strike a Scent. There are a few stories to be told.
Enough for now, I'm tired.
Willy, your freindly Appalachain Intellectual

2 Comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ha Ha Murf. A Spike has just two spike sticking up for Antlers. THat there is a Spike.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It's a proven fact that Spikes are not alway's a Deer's first Antler. It can be genetic, but, Bioligist, say it's rare. It's mostly poor nutrition. One of my books say that they need 16% Protein. The 10 pointer that suppssedly is a 155 on The Boone and Crocket Scale was shot less than a mile from where the Spike was shot...so go figure.
Go ahead and ask about Boone and Crocket. All of the Deer my two Buddies shot were shot anywhere from 10:00am to 10:15 am...that say's alot.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home