Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Black Fingers


Got me a new tree stand. Can't complain about the price, found it rotting in the woods. All of the nuts and bolts are seized up(Gaum does not apply here, silly Flatlander's) and the canvas foot loops were dry rotted. It's a two peice climbing stand. This is the before picture, when it's been rebuilt, I'll show it. I thought it was an old refurbished one, then I noticed the wood was stamped Warren Sweat with a Deer Head Logo. Me and Ray were loking for a tree stand when we found it. We managed to find the other, but, that's another story

Well unless you live under a rock you know Bob Woodruff of ABC was put in bad shape by an IED(wich is an Improvised Explosive Device, a Co worker asked me today). He was riding in an Iraqi Armored Personell Carrier. I'm assuming an M113, but you know about assumming. It makes an Ass out of you and me. Of course there was a Camera Man which was wounded. Both were sent to Landstuhl Germany, a place I hope me and mine never have to see. There was an Iraqi in the vehicle that was evacuated(The OD in me wants to say EVAC) along with them. Well, the Newsies are all Bob and Camera Man. Somewhat understandable, he's gotten to be a big man. Bareley a mention of the Iraqi with them. Why? Is it because he's a Soldier or just a Soldier of the Tar Baby? You can call me sensative, but, if they are going to talk about it so much, then mention the other guy too. Anyway, I hope they all turn out fine.

Speaking of Sensative...I broke a nail
Me and Jello Boy refinished a Shotgun this weekend. Atleast we did the metal and plastic portions using Duracoat in Gun Blue. It worked rather well, but, the stuff got on my fingers and I havn't qiute gotten it all off. Actone took some of it off of my nails, wich made them brittle and one broke this morning. The stuff is wearing off slowly so, if it does this well on my fingers it ought to do well on a Gun. Basically two teaspoons of the stuff covered a Breech Loading Single Shot Shotgun. We're also going to redo my Grandaddy's old Muzzle Loader and a .410 Shotgun of JB's.

Under A Rock
I found myself living under a rock this last week. I have a cousin, wich despite his many shortcomings, I'm fond of, fighting for his life the other night and the whole town talking about it. I didn't know a thing. I once called him "The Origanal Man of Constant Sorrow". Because with all of his troubles, wich have mainly been brought on by himself, he will still meet you on that Golden Shore. That and he's got a Heart the size of any of these Mountains. A fellar was over at his house and somehow started some trouble, wich my cousin proceeded to show him the door. The fellar grabbed a Claw Hammer and lit into him with it. God has alway's giving him the opportunity to defend himself. They scuffled and my cousin grabbed a Fire Place Poker and was able to get a lick in on this fellar. Everything is fuzzy, I don't know who called the Law, but, my Cousin had the claw's stuck into the back of his head when the Law showed up. He's doing OK. I found out about it through an Aunt on the other side of the Family. She asked me his condition and I had no idea what she was talking about. I had missed the News the last two day's. It turns out my mother called my Cell Phone and left a message wich doesn't exsist. Heck, I get all of the "I have a lightbulb burned out" calls, but a serious one? Thanks Verizon.
Several versions of the story exsist. About the only thing they get right is the hammer.



Appalachain Intellectual...just another Red Blooded Fairtax Believing, Gun Owning, Libertarian Hunter
RLTW!

19 Comments:

Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Only thing I have to say is OUCH.
I hope the other guy got the poker up---- well, you know.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

AI, hope your cousin pulls through with no permanent damage. No disagreement should ever get as far as claw hammering someone and I am sorry it had to happen.

Never expected to here AI utter the words, "I broke a nail" regardless of whether it was true or not.

Six letters, double X jblm. Good deal

5:21 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Morning You'l. No, 3&10, he got it in the head and had to go to the Hospital too. Thanks Ed, Yeah, just bumped it against a door handle and it broke. Acetone will really dry the things out. I still have little black places.
Murf, it appears that you think Bob Woodruff is cute. The News people are inward focused in an outward focused buisness. I can't see reason to hold anything against the guy, don't get me wrong. I see it as inconsiderate and immoral to make the guy standing next to him a footnote.

I think I'd look good standing next to Elizabeth Vargas too.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'll get back to you Murf

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sincerely hope that Woodruff and Vogt (and all hurt in this incident) are able to make a complete recovery. I didn't read/hear about the Iraqi Soldier at all.
Our wounded Soldiers are going through this on a daily basis and its been going on for years. 1/3 of the 62 US casualties in January were due IED's.
A.I.(in Iraq) any chance when you will be outside the wire; Will you be in one of those Strykers? ( ;
Though even in those - the IED's will stop it - if its large enough.

Gosh, I know the feeling when you break a nail! Darn!

That contraption tree thingy... yeah, show us how it works.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Telling my age here, but I can remember when the M113 was top-of-the-line transport. I believe I recall it had a Detroit Diesel 4-71 in it and could scoot along at a fair clip. Of course, I can also remember when grenade launchers weren't found under the M-16 forearm but were standalone "Thumpers", the M-79.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Wow, Gunner. I just realized you're pretty old.



Well.... did you hear me??

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a picture - In a picture!!

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murf....Boots? well - ok...sure!

I also want hands, and various body parts too!! ( ;

A.I. - Just a little teasing...

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogger Comment is doing something weird.. of course it could be me...

My comment of

In a picture... IN a picture!

is suppose to be under my other comment about Murf...boots and various body parts!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, I was almost ran over by an M113 once. I was in a POV and it was screaming across a road out in the woods on Ft. Benning. They were suppsed to have the road blocked,but didn't. I slammed on the brakes and thankfully stopped in time.

Janie, I doubt that I will have much to do with a Stryker. As for the rest? I have no real idea. It's all "stand by to stand by, we might have a maybe".

Yes, those are my Desert Boots that I have been feild testing. Wellco's out of Waynesville. Hey! I rubbed one pair of my Jungles in Bear Oil...whata ya think of that?
Are you'l conspiring?

as for how the tree stand works, I'll do it in a post.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it bear oil from Your bear??

Did the boots stay the same color?

7:09 PM  
Blogger Annalis said...

A fight with a claw hammer and a fire poker...holy crap! I hope your cousin is OK.

I look forward to your post on the tree stand.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I didn't put the oil on the canvass. I put it on the leather, best thing for them. It will water proof leather, wich stayed black.

A thing about Amored Personell Carriers, a large concussion will set of all of the ordanance off, exploding the vehicle.

Annalis, he's ok. Why are tree stands so interesting?

8:07 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Say again, Ramblin' Ed... I think my hearing aid is going belly-up.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Like I say, I'll get back to yun's.
Gunner? What's this about a hearing aid?

7:46 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

He said "For hearing's sake, turn the telly up." Seriously, AI, you need to try to keep up.

dnztpzxs 8, yes 8, of the more obscure letters. I really think your verification genie has it in for me.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I was having a private conversation with Ramblin' Ed, AI and in hindsight, that was poor blog ettiquette on my part.

It won't ever happen again, I promise.

8 letters! I win!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Oh, it's fine with me, most comments I've ever had.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home