Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, February 12, 2006


This is a Stevens .410 Shotgun(3" Chamber) before being refinished. The bluing was just about gone. When he bought the Shotgun it was rusty, and the stock dinged up. It came from a Pawn Shop, who ever had had the Gun must have left it in a closet. Below is the after picture.

I see that I'm getting alot of hits for DuraCoat. The After picture of the Gun above appears in the post below. Also see Black Fingers and Black Fingers... Again. If you have questions about putting it on. Just e-mail me. Anything to help out a fellow Gun Nut. Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Do you blue your own guns?

I have an Ithaca 12 gauge featherweight pump that could use some work on the barrel--probably because it stays in my gun locker and hasn't been fired in a couple decades. Is this something I could do?

5:56 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I have Cold Blued a Gun before(get it from Wal Mart). It works OK, not as well as a Hot Blue from a Gun Smith. Also, though I've never done it, Parkerizing a Gun doesn't require any special equipment. What we went with was DuraCoat. It spray's on with an Air Brush, doesn't need to be oiled like the other stuff. Resists rust, and abrassion. It's fun to put on too. It's available from www.lauerweponry.com Sage, you ought to shoot that Gun sometimes. Shells are cheap. You know, I really sounded like a Salesman. They ought to give me a commission.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

P.S. Ithaca is a good Gun. I think they used that one in Viet Nam.

6:49 PM  
Blogger sage said...

yeah I know I should shoot it... most of my shooting is done in NC and I don't particular like to travel with guns--but my father and brother have plenty so I generally borrow one.

The featherweight has a nice feel to it, but if you're shooting buckshot, they kick like a son-of-a-gun. I've seen pics of soldier's with shotguns in Vietnam, but for some reason I thought shotguns were not considered "legal" for war? Am I right?

5:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I bet that thing does kick with Buck. My Remington Model 29 is heavy, so it doesn't feel as bad. It's a real kicker with Slugs though.

Shotguns are legal for War. The military currently uses a Mossberg. I can't qoute the model. The Shot consists of flichettes. The Insurgancy in Iraq is said to be in great fear of a Shotgun.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Brownells has a proprietary cold bluing kit that I've read about on some of the gun boards. Folks seem to be pleased with it.

I'm sure their on the internet.

I believe it's a beefed up Mossberg 500, not sure of the M-series designation.

I'm still trying to figure out how y'all lug around all that equipment with all that armor on. Plus, did they get rid of grenadiers in today's Army? Is every infantryman also a grenadier now with that launcher slung under the M-16? It used to be you had a grenadier specialty who lugged around the M79 and a sidearm.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I got curious. They do use a Mossberg 590 and I saw that PICATINNY fielded 200 12 ga "kits". That thing looks like a handful.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I didn't want to qoute it as the 590. I often jumble numbers in my head. MOst of my Gun Buddy's don't care for it. Unfortunatly, I havn't played with one. I was aware of the Picatany. I didn't know it was being feilded yet. Their is another that is automatic and resembles an M16 that supposedly s very promising.

As for Grenadiers, there are two per sqaud, one in each fire team. That's Infantry, as for MP's and people like that I don't know how they place it. If it was up to me I'd cut the MP Corps, at least alter it.

Also I wpould have two Shotguns available to each squad.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home