Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Wrong Answer


Logging Equipment above the Burning Town Community in Macon County NC. This is in the Waya District of the Nantahla National Forest.

Land For Sale. Well, not yet, and I predict in certain places not likely. Not in my back yard. Some of the people up there in the Belt Way have a plan to sell U.S Forest Land in order to pay for "rural schools". You have no doubt heard of this measure. Well, like Mr Horse would say..."No Sir, I don't like it." Not the least bit.

This is like having a Yard Sale, selling off your Guns and Power Tools so you can pay off ten times as much Credit Card Debt...And still buying stuff on credit. Controlling Government spending and making HR25(The Fair Tax) Law would be better in order to pay for "rural schools". Most modern Urban Minds may not realize it but, Tree's and open spaces are a National Resource. In my eyes Wildlife is as well. That is part of the purpose of our National Forest. Going and "oohing and awing" at Mother Nature is secondary. Essentialally, what they propose to do is sell resources, to make a quick buck. Throw it to the wind in the name of "the children", while not implementing any fundamental change to the Education System. This is not Conservatism.

The Forest Service has a listing of Lands under the proposal and the majority of the lands are in the East. I, of course will foucus on my corner of Appalachia, but, it's eqaully important for the rest of these Mountains and everywhere else as well.

Fortunately, none of Transylvania and Henderson County are being suggested. A tiny portion of Haywood and over 22 acres of Buncombe County are. Theses Counties make up the bulk of the Pisgah National Forest in the south and eastern sides of the Balsam Range. North of Asheville the Pisgah takes a hit in Madison, Mitchell and McDowell Counties mostly, but Burke, Avery and Caldwell counties have portions for sale as well. The Nantahala has quite a bit for sale. Most of it in eastern Macon County. Also parts of Swain and Graham Counties. In South Carolina the Andrew Pickens District of The Sumter takes a hit too.

Who would buy these parcels? Big Developers, mostly from Florida who intend to make them into "Upscaled" Neighborhoods. That means Golf Courses, sky lined Mansions that glitter in the sun light and ultimately, the land will be lost to any other use until our civilization falls. The land will be financially out of reach to most Mountain People that would want to preserve the land.

What would be lost? A clean watershed, a valuable timber source, botanical life and Wild Life habitat. Also the scenery that Developers are always trying to sell will become more scarred. The land is a vital part of the Culture here and it should not be regulated to Mueseums. Conservation measures such as Controlled Burning would become impossable. With Fire Supression being over emphasized for decades soome slopes. mostly southern slopes are tender boxes. A fire makes it's own wind and a steep Mountain Side aggrevates it more. The results could be disasterous. Not to mention that many species need such disturbance.

The loss of habitat from Development would be damaging. People complain of Bears getting into their yards now. Bears are having a hard time finding a suitable home. The Females like hollow standing trees, denning up high. Glitter Mansions spread across a Mountain Side are not freindly to that. If your a Wild Animal it's getting crowded here. If your a Hunter it's getting even more crowded. Those lands are Game Lands, Property that is open to public Hunting. Again lost until our civilization falls...

Who's against it? Well, about everyone I know. Everyone that uses the National Forest here. I'm yet to meet one person that is for this measure. Also some groups like The Western North Carolina Alliance are putting up a fight. I am too.

Conservation lost
Appalachian Intulectual

7 Comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It better be.

7:42 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I agree with your feelings about the government's garage sale. Who thought up the idea of "surplus land?" It seems to me that when you have a finite commodity, you can't truly have a surplus. And if the government really does have land it don't need, I'd like them to get as much $ as they can for it, instead of letting it help some developer to become richer.

As for your "fair tax," I'm not sure about it. I may have to find another woman (one's that a bit thrifter) before something like that comes down the pipe. And even though it may be better (of which I'm not sure of) they'll still be problems with it as with all government tax plans. The only government tax plans that are problem free are the ones that don't affect me!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, your absulutley right. The Government will not sell it for top dollar(and alway's over pay's contracts) Yet, it will be Financially out of reach of anyone that would want to preserve the land.
As for the Fair Tax, I'm for it. Though it would not be perfect, it would be better. Our system makes it hard for buisness's to compete, and quite frankly...it doesn't work. Now, I know what you mean about someone not being thrifty. Now, women can find a deal, but, it's not alway's one thaty's needed.

Murf, were you saying that the State may condemn my house? If they could get more tax money out of it they would. Wich, also a point is if some of these lands are sold and converted inot "Upscaled Living" then, the neighboring tracts will go up in value wich ultimatly is Tax Value. Land that's been in a Family for generations could be lost because they can no longer afford the Taxes.
Another 8 letters!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I saw that someone hit me looking for the 391st. Alpha Company 391st Engineers,based in Asheville NC and currently depolyed to Afghanistan lost 4 members this week. Being local I've known a couple of those boy's and The Jolly Red Head Giant(Anyone of them reading this knows who I'm talking about, LOL) was with them for a while. I didn't know any of the four. One was a Cross Leveled Soldier from I think Indianna. Their year is up in May. That shows, there is no time for letting your gaurd down. Anyhow, God Bless them.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'm not arguing with you.

No, my Guns will stay in a safe place. Maybe even the Bobcat. The Antlers can stay.

Twister, that was put the way only you can put it. He brings up a big issue that happened a couple of years back. While Jesse Helms defended many of our God given rights, such as those garunteed by the 2nd Amendmant, he did do a dumb thing.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It will be a turbulant relationship...he's part Bear Dog.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gallywacks, I like that. Sounds like they put Garden Homes on the side of a Mountain.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home