Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Someday

"And if you see the dark clouds gathering out on the horizon don't be alarmed they're just there for me"

Here lately, I get up at 3AM. I turn the TV on for a few minutes as I tie my boots. I watch the weather feed out of Greenville SC's Channel 4. But, the other feed is NBC programming. We've beeen barraged with the Connan news, The Late Night fellar. He has been getting reran at 3AM. Well, I saw he's gone now, and they put Meet The Press in the 3AM time slot. One comedy for the other.



I also locked my hubs at 3:20 Am. With the ground thawing and the rain the dive way is plumb mud. At 3:22 AM I unlocked the hubs. Some time after 4PM, I'll lock the hubs again. The days are just kinda running in to each other.

I've had the Army Reserves twice this month. I was in Charleston SC for a meeting Saturday. I don't care for Charleston. But, both Saturday and Sunday I got to sleep until 6AM. That's my usual waking hour. That's the time my body says, "get up, roll over, get your brain engaged, do something".

Last Monday there was black Ice on US64. I drove across it not knowing at a faster rate of speed than normal. Again, I never knew it was there. Later four cars got piled up in the ditches there. God looks after me. At times I wonder why, but, I suppose he has his reasons.

So, getting up every morning I feel like I'm getting up and dusting myself off. It's like there is some distant goal in the distance I sometimes lose sight of...Putting one foot in front of the other. "Yeah, one day I'll gt it right"...Try and try again...Oh yeah, I know what it is again. I just know one day I'll get it right.

You know me, "Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say", but, I've said all I need to say for now.

The Appalachianist

11 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I hit black ice on a pretty long interstate bridge near Hagarstown, MD. Closest I've ever come to an actual heart attack.

Turned 50 this weekend. Party started at 1400 and went until 0930 the next day. Old, hell!

I have only been to Charleston once. Had to buy a cracker jack jumper top on my way from leave in Tampa to my new duty station in Dahlgren, VA. The selection was poor and I unded up with what my new shipmates derisevly referred to my newly purchased uniform as my "maternity jumper". I do, however, like the idea of Charleston.

I get up betwen 0330 and 0345 every day. You are one of the few I know who gets up earlier.

7:53 AM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

you lock your hubs? what's a hub?

12:26 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Black ice can be a mean thing...

4:59 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Pipsqeak, you live a sheltered life.

Ed, a belated Happy Birthday to you. Sounds like a real good party. I'll mosey on over to your place to catch all of the details. I envision a pig picking with a live band.

I don't get up at 0300 for choice. That's what the procedure calls for.

Sage, black ice is the devil. It has horns, will try too cut a deal for your Soul in exchange for some frivolous desire, and laughs at locked hubs. But, it cringes at the notion of Holy Calcium Chloride.

OK, Pip, it is locking the devices on your front wheels to have 4 wheel drive.

6:37 PM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

Haha, 4 wheel drive...I live..well, not in the mountains. Locking hubs has yet to come up as a necessary action for me...and really it sounds like man's work. ; )

But drive careful, black ice is no joke...I've yet to be offered any golden fiddles by it, just a bad time.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, getting up in the morning . . . ummm, "some distant goal in the distance I sometimes lose sight of . . . Putting one foot in front of the other." That explains the human condition at its most basic . . . just the dilemma of human existance. Good luck on escaping the black ice. I was on SC 9 coming back from Lancaster many years ago in a rather new Mustang. I hit ice in the middle of the bridge at about thirty to forty miles and hour and found myself headed back to Lancaster. There was a foot and a half clearance on both sides front and rear as I spun around. The signs that say bridge freezes are telling the truth. Stay well and serve the blog troop. Take care. Bill

9:38 PM  
Blogger Hannu said...

It's been a while since I've had to lock in the hubs. My 74 Dodge had that. My two jeeps didn't have that.
My Chev Avalanche has push button instead of a stick on the floor for engaging 2 hi, 4 hi , 4 lo or neutral. The Avalanche surprisingly gets the same miles per gallon as the 6 cyl jeeps did; and the Avalanche is an 8 cyl, but still intimidates me on account of the "computer technology" It's an older one, 2003, but I like it for all the built in "snivel gear" It gave me enough doubts that I purchased a 4 yr warranty.
I live in Oregon's high desert (central Oregon) Plenty of snow, but I've only had to push the 4 hi button a few times. They plow and sand the shit out of the roads here. Take care 1SG. Hooah!

2:16 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

There's nothing like coming in to work at 4AM Tuesday morning to find you are at the same place you were at 4AM Monday morning.

Pip, despite a dusting of snow, the ground was cold enough to be firm. I didn't have to lock the hubs (followed by shifting into 4 High)But, I did have to take it a little easy, cause a dusting of snow is slicker than 3" or an inch for that matter. The roads were mostly clear, but I did manage to catch a glare of the devil.

Bill, I've had the fortune, compared to you and Ed's misfortune of seeing the devil on a bridge like some type of troll waiting in ambush. Forks of the river was fine, it was up on the mountain. I'll be there on Feb 5.
Inshalla.

Sotomies, I've got a Toyoya. The old kind. It makes a good Dog Box Express. Tough as nails. But, for many years I had a Chevy with automatic locking hubs. It never gave me a proble. A hunting partner of mine has push button 4WD, and it failed him here last month. It would not engage.

Here in these mountains, allot of us have private roads that are cared for sparingly. As well, the local DOT folks do a fairly good job (They better, we get taxed enough)of keeping things up. But, with the twists and turns combined with weather that can change real quick, or not happen at all, the unexpected will happen.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yes, I said proble:)

4:36 AM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

So, can you only shift into 2 high, 4 high etc after you engage the 4 wheel drive? I know I can down shift (so to speak) my little automatic Olds Alero into first and second if things get a little tricky. Is that sort of the same thing?

Bill, you were definitely right about the Haiti identification issues that you mentioned in the last post or so. My prof. was saying that whoever is working on clean up right now is just moving people into mass graves without recording where they've come from. So you will have maybe 2 dozen sets of remains from all over the city in one burial. Which is just going to be a commingled mess. Apparently, the groups she works with that are responding saw some of this on CNN and were freaking out.

She's there now, so I hope she can feel like she's doing some good. But my money is on forensic anthros. being back there in ten years to sort out it out once there is time and more resources.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yeah, Pip, you can say that. Actually you can after you lock the hubs, then you engage 4WD or shift into 4Low,4High or back into 2WD with the hubs locked. It's best to unlock the hubs though.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home