Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Dogs Are Tough

Here we are, 2010 and the thermometer hasn't busted out of the 20's yet. We're burning the wood here at Appalachian Patria Central, and plenty of it. Twice a day I'm having to break the dogs water up with an ax. The Dogs, they're all settled down in a bed of cedar chips. The air is stinging your cheeks outside and someone is watching a documentary on global warming. Irony at it's best.

I don't suppose, I've mentioned my Co Co Dog. She's a little brindle Cur I got as a pup this summer, about the time I got back from Ft. Knox. She's six months now and it's time to start tethering her. She just came into heat the first time. I've got two little Plott/English mixes too. They are little. Full brindle coats with a dash of white on their chest. I'm keeping them for six months and deciding on which to keep. They've paid the cold no attention. I ax the water and they come running, drink up some water and go on to wondering and playing. It's fun to watch them.

Last Saturday we hunted Macon County and had to throw the dogs across the rushing creeks. It was cold, I got in water over my boots and about froze my feet off. It was nice to put new socks on at the truck that evening. One time I looked down at Rebel and he had steam coming off of him. Dogs are tough.

The Appalachianist

6 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

That they are! Just watching their enjoyment of being outside no matter what type of weather it is makes me enjoy it that much more as well...although maybe not cold, wet feet.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They . . . the dogs . . . love being alive . . . don't they? Bill

7:03 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Wet feet when it is that cold is a bummer--when it's real cold you take off your boots and pants and wear wading shoes and keep your pants/boots dry crossing streams--and you learn how quickly you can redress. Stay warm up in those mts.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, they didn't like the wet part,but they paid the cold no mind for a while. But, you've gotta love them.

Bill, they like being alive, heck, it's all they know. The Jolly Red Head Giant has resurfaced.

Sage, we crossed...Four times...Yeah, four times. The first time we got ourselves and the dogs across a frosty log, then made it across some rocks that weren't too far under, then came the hard one. That was where we threw a lead across to some one and then threw the dogs as far as we could. It was deep, so we had to cross upstream. I got a little wet on that one, but the last was the worst. We couldn't throw the dogs, we had to rush them along. My stepping log broke and I slipped in. I got to missing my waders...But, if we were not so pressed for time, I would have crossed barefooted. And, next time, I just may! That was on the head of Talulla River, right close to the A.T.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can walk across now if it is as cold in the mountains as it is here in Columbia. Brrrrrrrrrr . . . it is cold. Bill

7:57 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Agh Heck, everything up here has been frozen. I've still got a few patches of snow in the yard fom before Christmas, every norht slope does.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home