Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, December 18, 2009

Year Of The red Neck Mama

Just a little Cracker to get your blood pumping, this isn't about Redneck Mamas.

Push Play and go on.


You can say I've had Bloggers Block...Maybe.

Once upon a time I lay nearly on my back between two downed logs covered by some small Hemlocks. I was watching a Wildlife field on the Davidson River in what light was left after work. I heard something rustling next to me. I've learned to be careful, I had a Bobcat come up behind me once. He's in my den mounted on a piece of drift wood now, but, this is not about that Bobcat. It's about a Raccoon, that's what I saw over my shoulder. It was preoccupied with the ground and didn't notice me. I stared wondering if it was going to notice me for a few seconds, which it did. And once it did things quickly got in motion as it screeched a squeaky sound at me. as it was squeaking it propped up on it's hind legs throwing it's hands in the air in what to this day I'm not sure was a gesture of surprise or surrender.It looked like the Hamburgler from the old Hardees commercials, now they have a beautiful woman choking down a burger as if it was the fountain of youth. But, this isn't about Carls Juniours Cuties, it's about a Raccoon, that's what had its hands in the air in astonishment that it had walked on top of a human. Once it got over it's intitial astonishment it scurried a couple of feet grabbing a sapling and swung around it the way that brown haired Girl did that pole years ago at Ft. Benning. It swung around and peeked at me as if it was looking around a corner and let out another screech, leaped from the sapling and ran a few feet, looked back at me and R U N O F T!
I never saw it again...

Then last month I pulled into the Naval Supply Corps School (NSCS Athens), where I happen to be at the moment, and the gate guards pointed across my truck. "You're not going to believe this, but there is a raccoon over there that just beat a cat up over some pizza", she said. I looked over and the thing was defiently standing guard against some shadow over something.

Raccoons, you gotta love them...

Before you ask, yes, it snowed back home. I drove through it on into South Carolina where it was all rain. It fell real quick and got white in a hurry. Tomorrow, I go back to watch it go away...

So, if that was too much for you, this will settle you down.


So, this wasn't about Red Neck Mamas. It was about Raccoons...Bandits of the Forest. But, someones going to be checking the sky at 3AM...

The Appalachianist

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to ask you about the snow. It is going to be a big storm if the Weather Channel can be believed.

Years ago in the month or two before my daughter married she and my son and I camped out on Mount Pisgah near the Pisgah Inn.

Late at night or very early in the morning when light was just coming through the tops of the trees I went outside the tent to answer the call of nature.

Something told me to turn around. In the darkness a crouching shadow with large yellow eyes was looking directly at me.

I yelled at my daughter to get me the flashlight only to be asked, "What do you want with the flashlight?" I knew her marriage was going to be a succes right then because she was talking like a woman while I worried about the "shadow" eating my leg off. Someone told me that they don't eat your leg. They go for your eyes.

Anyway, I shouted and clapped my hands and finally the "thing" crawled or creeped away.

I was glad to read about your encounter on the Davidson River with the bobcat. I told them it was a bobcat. They tried to tell me it was a chipmunk. It was not a . . . chipmunk. The eyes were too big and too yellow.

We were at about 5,500 feet. Take care . . . now to go back and listen to the song. Oh, about the flashlight, I just want to shine the light on it to see what it was. Bill

10:30 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I've seen lots of coons and shunks-especially in the shelters along the Appalachian Trail, they come in at night and try to get any food you haven't stored away. Good story.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sage . . . could it have been a bobcat? It had big yellow eyes and a crouch that seemed cat-like. I just know it wasn't a chimpmunk or a possum or a beaver or a skunk. The darkness of its outline in the darkness of the night was just too big. Bill

10:48 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I killed that Bobcat on the Kuykendall Creek side of Cedar Rock Mountain. Now, what you saw could have been a Bigfoot Baby. How many people do you know that's stared down a Bigfoot Baby?

Sage, I know those coons make a living off of hikers over there. We've got trail shelters over here too. One of them is called the Hippy Shack, I've spent a few nights there myself. But, I've always been peaceful, while most everyone tells me of something the likes of a Coon getting in the shack with them. I think I might have heard a woods mouse once.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids won't believe it is or was a bigfoot baby even when I told them that it was confirmed by one of the mightiest hunters in the southern Appalachian Mountains someone who is part Cherokee not as fierce as the Crees but more so than the Chocktaw whose tribe they, my children, are a blood member. I told them that had my daughter handed me the flashlight when I asked her that I too would be a mighty warrier having counted coup with Baby Bigfoot. I would still be on top of Mount Pisgah trying to get Baby Bigfoot off my leg . . . and it gets cold in the winter with snow on the ground. Tough . . . I may never get over it. I still think it was a bobcat. Bill

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home