Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Change is Inevitable

What would they think? So much has changed since then. Change is inevitable. Some of it for the better, and some of it for the worse and still, some of it is just change. Not black, not white, just gray. People preach change, and then resist it, others stand back and watch. In the end nothing changes...But change itself. But, what would they think if they could see everything today? Would they be impressed, worry or would they say that not much has really changed? They saw so much in their life times, one born before first flight to see men on the moon and a shuttle in space. Once every road they knew was dirt, Live stock ran free and electricity occurred in town. They knew life when radio was rare and before television made it's way into peoples homes. We say that...Made it's way, but it was invited, not nearly the invasion we make it to be. They saw the Chestnuts die out. They saw the farms, the logging and the pulp mill. They saw allot change. Change is inevitable, some of it for the better and some of it for the worse. What would they think? What would they think of change that changes how we define who we are?

The Appalachianist

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "they" of your posting doesn't have a defined antecedent except for the changes that define them or a period before those changes took place . . . pehaps before 1900as a start, but they could be anyone before a certain change or discovery took place. All of us live in a time capsul of sorts, and there is a wistfulness about this posting that is especially a part of the history of the mountains . . . a sense of loss as well as acceptance of change to my mind anyway. I have it too. I have got to think about this before I can give a good answer. It made me think. Did you get the card sent you? Thanks for the posting. Bill

9:36 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I recently posted this on facebook: "Without change there can be no nostalgia" -Paul Theroux

9:38 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yes, Bill, I did get the card. Sorry about that. Since then the address you sent it had changed. Send to PO 359 and I'll get it.

Sagem this is true...

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . but did it snow?

5:15 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It did up high. I hunted in a high place that morning and it was a pretty snow. The other side of the Balsams got it.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the snow might come down the mountain tonight . . . get the dogs in the house . . . er, their house. Had lunch with Randy Almindinger and Ray Presnell. I was glad to see them . . . mentioned you and hope you are well. Bill

5:40 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

My proof:
I lived in the barracks while attending Basic Electricity & Electronics training at Naval Training Center San Diego (in beautiful, and rich, Point Loma). There was a cigarette machine near the quarterdeck, which was cool because I was a smoker back then.

It would be late and we'd be drunk (yeah yeah... we were baby sailor mans)and out of smokes. We wouldn't be in any condition to walk to the off base convienence store for more, so we'd eventually relent (and by eventually I mean immediately)and use the cigarette machine near the quarterdeck. So with that said, based on my interaction with that evil vending machine, I can confidently challenge your declaration. Change is not, in fact, inevitable.

Two points:
1. Yes that was a torturous route to a punchline.
2. It is in fact true that for some unknown reason, in the navy a building's foyer is indeed called a quarterdeck.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Who is 'they'?

8:29 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Uh oh...I'm already talking like I live in the south. ;-)

I meant...Who are "they"?

1:51 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

My Grandfathers, Murf.

Ed, the next time I'm at NSCS Athens, I'll remember that. That reminds me of a Raccoon story...

2:07 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I noticed that, Murf.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Thanks for noticing. Maybe I'll fit in much easier than I think I would if/when I move south. :-)

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murf, it is difficult to be a Southerner in the best of times. Faulkner said it best . . . my paraphrase . . . well, the past isn't even the past or words to that effect. Southerners carry our kin in our minds. They come along with us where we go . . . they come along . . . with our memories of them . . . land and place . . . for better or for worse. It is who we are . . . right down to the ground . . . and it passes gender and race . . . .

It is a shared quality . . . and yet I wrote of the "they" of App's posting and knew the answer because the answer is "us" almost as if we believe in ghosts and spirits and re-incarnation. Once long ago and far away and coming out of the fields with a roll of barbed wire that had been taken from fencing the wire itself was put in the branches of an old oak tree . . . the branches stretched across the road in front of the house. The wire was to be used later. Well, later never came. The wire, stuck there in the tree, became a monument to a momement in time when the man who drove the tractor under the tree put it there.

That is how the wire was talked about in the many years that followed through time and death and change. It was never taken down by kin. People had to move away, but the wire was left there. The family died out or moved away and the wire is missed in conversation because it came to represent the man and marked the change of a sort that had occurred with the passing of time.

I have never understood it either, but then I was born in Connecticut to a Southern mother. The winds are blowing cold in the mountains tonight. Get out a blanket or two and keep warm. The spirits and times passed will be out and about and in the morning bear tracks around the dog houses and ice to break on the water pans. Bill

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home