Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Not So Ouch


Yes, I've freeze branded two of my Dogs, Rebel and Tip. Dogs are not as docile as Horses. You shave them, they keep wanting to move around, you brand them, they are fidgity. I believe branding dogs is tougher business.
What they don't show you is the brand needs to be submerged in a dry ice and acetone bath to get it cold enough. About -109F (-78C). It will need to be submerged for 20 - 30 minutes. It also has to be a freeze brand, not a hot brand.
Read ore here. I got y brand from Pittsburgh Foundry.
As for Rebel and Tip, tie will tell how well I did.

The Appalachianist

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww . . . I'll post a comment . . . that girl has got to have the flatest rear I can remember seeing . . . . I know . . . it ain't much of a comment either . . . still it doen't seem to hurt . . . the brandin' that is . . . not like a hot iron would . . . which is OK if you are the one getting branded. Bill

7:36 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Bill- I had to go back and look at her rear. You are right!

A.I - I suppose that is done so that others can visually see that they are yours rather than something like microchipping? How about a nice sweater or bandanna with the initials "D.C.W." instead?

7:43 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, Bill, I couldn't help but notice myself. I'm not going to be a critic...She has a cute accent though.

Murf, yeah, a chip is unseen. They will still take the thing. Tattoos are the same way, but your initials in white hair stands out. My name is on the collar, but collars come off.
Bosco had a sweater and she wore it until it fell off of her. She acted right proud of the thing.

I think it's a litlle uncomfortable, Bill, but not like a hot brand.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brrrrrrr . . . this morning was cooler to the point of saying it is cold here in Columbia, and it is or was raining quite hard for a couple of hours. It reminded me of a week in an urban mock-up at Fort Bragg in March a long time ago. At breakfast the tent was dark, and I reached for what I thought was syrup for my pancakes only to have it congeal into the bacon grease it was, as I left the tent. It was not my greatest disappointment in life, but I was hungary, wet, and cold, and I was thinking about those warm pancakes. I can only imagine what it was like in the mountains this morning. Bosco needs her sweater . . . or at least a new one maybe. Bill

3:43 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, today was great. The rain was yesterday and it wasn't uncomfortable this morning. I had to call in sick (I'll be back to work in the AM)so, I wasn't out at the crack of dawn. It's been cool here already so it wasn't a shock to the system. We're under a flood watch for tomorrows rain. It's the first week of Bear Season, there's a bunch of frowning bear hunters...And coon hunters. Next week will be good.

Nothing like B Ration bacon...

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home