Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Long Time Ago

All of this talk about General McChrystal in the news has taken me back some. I once knew him as Captain McChrystal in my early days of 3rd Ranger Battalion. He was the Commander of Alpha Company and I was in HHC. I was a Cook in those days and I came in contact with everyone. At the time I would have gladly traded with one of my buddies as a Rifleman in a Fireteam...They did fun things and got weekends off, as where I just worked all of the time...But, through coming in contact with everyone I learned allot and gained a perspective on things that I won't put into words.

My buddies that were in the "Line Comapanies" did live a hard life.

In my memory, Cpt McChrystal was a popular Commander, so was his First Sergeant, 1SG Laws, a Vietnam War Ranger. All of us young kids held them in great respect. Alpha Co. was a crack Company. I don't know by what and who's standards, everyone claims some degree of greatness in the Military, but, at the time they had been dubbed the "best Infantry Company in the Army". There was obviously some chemistry in the Company. There was a reference to them as "Alphabots" for having a almost robotic mannerism. Veterans of different Ranger Bns will usually chuckle and say that every A Co. in the Regiment is kind of like that. I'm no one to say that it's true.

Before I got Mobilized for Iraq I corresponded with a guy from A Co. from those days and ran into another while I was at Ft. Knox this summer. Gen McChrystal is still popular with those guys. I say that because they speak positively of him. Rising so high in rank doesn't do it. There is a common notion that Senior Officers...And many Senior NCOs are out of touch. Being in charge doesn't make you popular. It's being you that makes you popular. And I've learned that having first hand knowledge doesn't make you right if you only look at something from one angle.

There is no man that was in that Bn at the time that I can glorify. At 20 "glorify" to me had a hint of blandishment, at 41 the word is vain. There's no man that I respect that I could do that to.

One of the figures that stands out the most from that era of my life was "The Purd"...My Company's 1SG. 1SG Purdy. He was later promoted to CSM. Stories still abound in circles from people that knew him or knew of him. Some actually show the different sides of him. Some stories I've not known whether to believe or not. Several years back he wrote a piece that was put on Col. Hackworth's web site. It's a popular...That word again...Rant article, posted in frustration by...I was going to say Soldiers far and near, but, "all sorts of people" is better. Soldiers are people. I see more of it than a rant. I've found advice in it.

All of the stories say, in some way, he was a tough Son of a Bitch...That he is. He WAS called a relic from the past and allot of people thought he was crazy and I'm sure they still think he is. People can believe what they want, but I will tell you something. He was no premodonna, he was no chest beater and when he spoke everyone listened.

Rangers Lead The Way!
The Appalachianist

6 Comments:

Anonymous Sage said...

Interesting--you should write more about your military career.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Hannu said...

I respect your stance. I have followed your blog off and on since early 2006. I am a retired citizen soldier 1SG. Hooah!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, thanks for the suggestion. I often get caught up in the present though.

Sotamies,Glad you keep coming back. It seems I remember you commenting here before. Here lately it's hard for me to keep up with things.You were a 1SG, you did the job I'm doing. It's work;)Hooha!

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a recent book by by Jon Krakauer entitled Where Men Win Glory: The Odyseey of Pat Tillman. General McChrystal is said to have been envolved in the Tillman cover-up . . . " a web of deceit and cover-up that most likely extended all the way . . . and certainly envolved a number of top generals including General McChrystal." These are not my words . . . they were part of a book signing and review covered by Charles McGrath for the NY Times. I know . . .consider the source . . . the NY Times. I would rather accept your comments about General McChrystal than anyone elses. Before it is all over over there, politics will probably destroy another good field commander. At any rate, your comments made me feel better . . . give him what he needs . . . it is going to be difficult enough. Bill

8:12 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I was wondering your where abouts, Bill.
I'm going to tell you, that report runs deeper and is not as simple as just saying send me more people. Just dog piling it is not something to do. And, not wanting to get into politics, after all it (the report) did go to Washington DC, I think that is one reason there has been such contemplation. People ought to read between the lines on this one.
Interesting link...
http://www.d-n-i.net/dni/2009/09/22/on-war-316-last-exit-before-quagmire/

I've read excerpts from the Tillman book. I ain't read enough to comment though.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you say he is OK, that's good enough for me . . . 'nuff said. I ain't no 1SG just a SFC and it's all above my pay grade. I try not to get too political too. Somehow I think it is disrespectful to a good blog about the mountains . . . but then . . . . I am still here . . . Friday I start an IV drip . . . that will be interesting. Take care. Bill

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home